Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Well I'm pretty sure that's what it is. Both parents are captive bred and raised adults and both owners swear they are full Gpp. I have no reason to doubt them. I just hatched this one and he looks quite different than my other Gpp, but my other ones all incubated in the ground and this guy came out of my incubator after a two month diapause, a 3 week warm up to room temp, and 96 days at 88 degrees. I saw pics of **** Bartlett's Gpp hatchlings (I'm told he uses incubators) and they look just like this. Anyhow, whatever he is, he's a gorgeous healthy leopard baby and I love him. So far, I'm calling him #14, but I'll come up with the right name soon enough.

1zfkhee.jpg

2uhvhjt.jpg

etunv8.jpg

34rdlhf.jpg

68vdbp.jpg

1496npi.jpg

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
Definitely is a great looking tort, I also love all the little speckles on the skin..

coreyc

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
Congrat"s # 14 look's great:) the last GPP I got came from **** but it is dark like the ones I got from you # 14 is awesome:D

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
#14 looks like (s)he's gonna be a real 'blondie'...looking forward to viewing his/her progress! Congrats, Tom!

JeffG

5 Year Member
Arizona
Congratulations! I really love the look of him!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
All my hatchlings come out pretty light, but like Greg's Aldabra babies, they seem to get a suntan and darken up pretty quick. I'll be curious to see how this guy does too.

kbaker

5 Year Member
Michigan
Mine are from **** so I will have to get pictures up for you, Tom.

And awesome peppering on the legs!! I love that quality in a Gpp.:D

CtTortoiseMom

5 Year Member
CT
What a cutie!! I too like most who have commented love the speckle legs.

ticothetort2

5 Year Member
SoCal
Congrats Tom, is this the first GPP that you have hatched yourself?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
ticothetort2 said:
Congrats Tom, is this the first GPP that you have hatched yourself?

Yes! And now I want MORE!!! I know where the parents are and I'm trying to put together a 1.3 group of adults right now.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I finally went over and got pics of mom and dad. They are both right around 17". I didn't have a scale but I'd estimate around 30 pounds each.

The males name is Ned. He's 13 and was raised in Beverly Hills on "mostly lettuce". He followed us around where ever we went in the pen and I nearly tripped over him twice while looking at the female. I don't know the story behind the female, but you can see she was raised dry as a baby. There were three babcocki nearby and not one of them moved in our presence. Ned and his pp girlfriend were motoring the whole time we were there looking, and every time we walked by. Every time I got low to take a pic, Ned would just walk straight at me and the camera, just like a typical sulcata. He wanted to climb into my lap. The female didn't try to climb into my lap, but would just nonchalantly brush me aside as she passed. She'd literally just push me out of the way.

Here are the two of them with my four year old daughter for size reference.
2u4px7o.jpg

This is Ned. Totally fearless. His behavior reminded me of one of those pushy, fearless, male Russians. A total brute.
ncoa3o.jpg

2ut6at1.jpg

This is the female. She didn't chase me around the pen, but she showed no fear or trepidation of any kind. She just marched around doing her thing. If I got in her way she'd either shove past me or just go around.
2m4x4ir.jpg

15rjs7q.jpg

JeffG

5 Year Member
Arizona
Great pictures. That is quite a contrast in the amount of pyramiding.

Status
Not open for further replies.