My new enclosure

Status
Not open for further replies.

safir11

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Vila Real, Portugal
Hi! I'm new around here, and I bought a couple of redfoot torti (I read this word here and I loved it :p), and they arrive tomorrow night! I can't wait!:rolleyes:

So I started thinking where I was going to do their enclosure, because my house has a huge garden, but because it is so close to the woods I'm afraid that a dog or a fox comes and kill them. But then I remembered, I have a balcony about 2meters of the ground, so I think it will be a good place for them.

The measurements are 3,30 meters by 1,40 meters, so I think it is ig enough for now.

I started by putting that lake plastic (I don't know how to say it in english:( ):
25072011727.jpg

And then some wooden boards to make the ends secure:
26072011734.jpg

Now I'm thinking about putting some tiles all around the balcony, and start to spread the soil. I'm going to use that green thing in the photo as their tub, it seems a bit deep for them, so I'll put some pebbles in there.
26072011735.jpg

What do you think?? I still need help and ideas on how to do the rest, like the placing of the hide-out and the tub.

Also, I wanted to use a Styrofoam box to make their hide-out, do you think it will be ok, or they will try to eat the Styrofoam?

Thanks!:):tort:

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
Looks very good so far, I think once you get the soil down making hides will be easier because you can make a hide that is covered by the soil, like a burrow...

safir11

5 Year Member
Vila Real, Portugal
Thanks! I was thinking that too, but what do I use to make that? A pot?

The substrate I want to use is soil and some wood chips, is that ok, or should I use something else too?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Sophia:

That's going to be a nice, big enclosure for the "torti's"! I'm curious why you thought you needed to line it with plastic. Isn't the floor cement? I don't think the substrate would harm the balcony.

Be sure to keep us in the loop as the building project progresses. Its very interesting!

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
Yes you can use a pot or a small wooden box. Just play around with it and see what works best for you and your tortoise..

safir11

5 Year Member
Vila Real, Portugal
Honestly, I lined it with plastic so it can be cleaned more easily, and the floor isn't cement, it as some nice tiles that my mom doesn't want to see armed, so I used the plastic so that she doesn't bug me a lot xD Also, the balcony is my bedroom, so I tried to make it the most easily cleaned thing I could think of :)

This enclosure is supposed to be temporary, for a year or two, until I get out my parents home or build a better and secure home in my garden! :D

To make their big hide-out I though I could use this, cut a hole for them to enter, instead of using a wooden box, what do you think?
26072011736.jpg

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
Im not sure, it looks like styrofoam, and I would be worried about them trying to eat some of it.

safir11

5 Year Member
Vila Real, Portugal
I was trying to old on to the idea of using that box, because styrofoam keeps the right temperature whether is very hot or very cold, and I have a lot of them, but it seems that I have to let it go ;)

Thanks

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
Sorry, you would be suprised what they will try to eat. If they can't smell it they will bite it to see if it's edible..

wrmitchell22

5 Year Member
Southeast Arizona
Welcome to TFO, that looks like a great enclosure so far! I agree don't use the styrafoam, if they did eat it that would be awful :( you can use planters turned on there sides as hides, put the bottom half down into the substrate and it works great :) I can't wait to see pics of your new Torti and your finished enclosure.

safir11

5 Year Member
Vila Real, Portugal
Thanks everyone! I will try to do something more today, but it is VERY VERY hot in here, and I'm afraid that if I go outside, I would melt.

I will certainly post all the progresses, I want to know what's your opinion too!:D

wrmitchell22: I can't wait to see my new Torti and enclosure finished too ahahaha

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
You are off to a great start.
Sink the water tub into the soil a bit, and surround with bricks, or larger rocks, or small pavers to stabilize it. Good idea to line with pebbles so they can climb out.
Add some plants that do well in your area and are safe, you can keep them in their pots and sink the pots also into the substrate.
http://www.thetortoisetable.org.uk/site/plants_19.asp
Plastic storage boxes up side down with a door cut make a good hide. Poke some small holes and zip tie or twisty a sponge to the inside roof and keep it moist. Put some moss inside. You can mound up the soil on the outside of it and they can even walk on top of it.

Len B

10 Year Member!
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
Very nice start, If you seal the styrofoam to protect it from the torti's so they can't scratch or eat it the box you have will work. you could use plastic and tape, or just tape.Seal it up high enough so that they can't reach the bare styrofoam. If you go the tape only way, start at the bottom so the overlaps are facing down, this way their toenails wont catch on the seams if they try to climb up the sides. Good Luck, Len

safir11

5 Year Member
Vila Real, Portugal
Posted by ??Len?? - Today 03:09 AM
Very nice start, If you seal the styrofoam to protect it from the torti's so they can't scratch or eat it the box you have will work. you could use plastic and tape, or just tape.Seal it up high enough so that they can't reach the bare styrofoam. If you go the tape only way, start at the bottom so the overlaps are facing down, this way their toenails wont catch on the seams if they try to climb up the sides. Good Luck, Len

Thanks :D That's a very good idea and I might just do it if I don't find any wooden boxes for them!

Posted by lynnedit - Today 02:40 AM
You are off to a great start.
Sink the water tub into the soil a bit, and surround with bricks, or larger rocks, or small pavers to stabilize it. Good idea to line with pebbles so they can climb out.
Add some plants that do well in your area and are safe, you can keep them in their pots and sink the pots also into the substrate.
http://www.thetortoisetable.org.uk/site/plants_19.asp

I've been looking for a list like this for a long, long time! Thanks! :)

Posted by Jacob - Today 02:58 AM
Looks Great, But Does Any Sunlight Hit This?

In the morning, no, but they have direct sun all the afternoon, so I think that they're good. It makes like 7 or 8 hours of direct sun, is it enough?

Thanks everyone for the replies, you've been all so helpful! I'm loving it here in this forum! :D :D

safir11

5 Year Member
Vila Real, Portugal
Well, this morning I went shopping. I bought two bags of soil (80 litres each) and some plants that tortoises are safe to eat :)

I also found some bricks that I could use, and some wood chips too.

Please, tell me what you think, I'm open to suggestions! :D

27072011740.jpg

The entrance from my bedroom

27072011742.jpg

Most of the soil

27072011741.jpg

Some of the plants

27072011746.jpg

This is what I have so far. I still have another bag of soil that I want to use. I will also put some pebbles around the wood chips, I think it will look nice!

27072011743.jpg

And here's a close-up of the plants and one hide-out!

Hope you like it! :D

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
See if you can bury the pot hide 1/2way in soil, with soil inside, might feel more secure for them. Have more than one, perhaps the openings facing different directions.
You can also use a small plastic box turned upside down with a door cut into it, and attach a sponge to the roof (zip ties, twisties, etc.), keep moist. Pile the dirt around it. This makes a great 'humid hide'.
Your plants will grow, of course. Others that are nice are hostas or carex grasses, they like to hide under these too. The more plants, the more humid it is.
You will want to mist at least part of the enclosure even a few times per day. You can sprinkle water directly into the topsoil and really saturate some of it. Helps with humidity.
The bricks will help keep their nails trimmed. If you have one larger paver /stepping stone or piece of slate, feed them on that because it helps keep their beaks trimmed.
It is really shaping up!

safir11

5 Year Member
Vila Real, Portugal
Thanks lynnedit!

I'm going to put at least one more pot, and I'm going to use a box like you said, but I don't know whether to use a plastic one, or a wooden one. Still thinking :)

I have a granite paver that I want to use, and as soon as I put it all together I'll post it here!

Still have to clean the tub, and put it in its place, and I'll use some logs for them to exercise!

gmayor

5 Year Member
Whittier, CA.
i think that looks great i actually have the same idea, i am getting married next year and i am hoping to get an apartment with a patio or balcony so i can do that too. Looks good if you ask me! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.