1. Welcome! Are you interested in tortoises? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our community is the #1 place for tortoise keepers to talk online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your tortoise and enclosure, and discuss any tortoise topic with other tortoise keepers. Get started today!

My "MAKE YOUR OWN" Dog food thread

Discussion in 'Other Pet Talk' started by ZEROPILOT, Aug 13, 2019.

Help Support Tortoise Forums by donating:

1. Tom

Tom The Dog Trainer 5 Year Member Platinum Tortoise Club

Location (City and/or State):
    Southern California
    I don't know the answer to that question. I've never used canned dog food for dogs, so I don't know much about it. They used to tell us that it had a very high water content. To which I would answer with a snooty: "No DUH!".
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2019
    TammyJ, TechnoCheese and ZEROPILOT like this.
  2. jsheffield

jsheffield Well-Known Member Platinum Tortoise Club Tortoise Club

Westmoreland, NH
    Another vote for dry food softened with water....

Jamie
    TammyJ and ZEROPILOT like this.
  3. ZEROPILOT

ZEROPILOT Well-Known Member 5 Year Member Platinum Tortoise Club Tortoise Club

South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
    Update
    She just ate the dry food that was moistened. Then jumped on my chest and burped in my face to say "thanks".
    So, wetting it does work.
    jsheffield and TechnoCheese like this.
  4. JLMDVM

JLMDVM Member

Ohio
    You can find information on balanced home made diets for dogs and cats at BalanceIt.com. You can pick a base protein and work from there. Good luck!
    Jennifer
  5. mark1

mark1 Well-Known Member

ohio
    I wouldn't worry , last I seen the evidence for this is pretty weak . the science behind it amounts to having like 600 dogs with dcm , 400 of them eat grain free diets , therefor grain free diets must cause dcm ……I actually think today most dog foods are grain free , you'd have trouble finding dogs fed commercial kibble that's not grain free …. personally i'd think it has more to do with problems with the protein source than grain or no grain …….. I believe dogs synthesize taurine from amino acids in the proteins they eat ……. there are a lot of possibilities as to what causes taurine deficiencies in dogs fed commercial dog foods …….. another reason to feed your dogs homemade diets ……. some dogs cannot eat commercial dog foods , you may not believe it until you have one , I didn't …………. I've raised a lot of dogs on grain free dog foods , I've known at least a hundred more raised grain free , I've had one dog with dcm , caused by sas , not diet ……..