My Leo may be sick?

Status
Not open for further replies.

travyn

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, IL
After getting a beak trimming from my herp vet in STL, my vet instructed me to put a dab of super glue on the cracks that are on both sides of Tucks face, and apply every two weeks. Three months later, I've been doing as instructed, but his cracks look no better. They're riding up on his face.
Now lately tucks eyes have seem irritated. I put a drop of sterile saline solution to them three days ago, and his eyes cleared up, but now they are reddish again.
Just twenty minutes ago, i gave tuck his nightly soak, and I noticed that his mouth was slimier than usual. Worried, I gave him a small hibiscus leaf and shot some photos of him un hopes to see what was up. The inside of his mouth looks fine, though. tonight was a 'super glue' night. And when i gave the end of his cracks a small dab, he shut his eyes tightly and made a gasp. I've heard him gasp before when he quickly exhales into his shell, but never when i touch his face. I don't know what to think.
His whole face is looking strange. 1. his eyes are irritated. 2. his left eye has a deep crease underneath it. 3. He's shedding more on his face than i have ever seen. 4. his mouth is slimy 5. he (for the first time) responded strangely to my superglue. 6. his jaw bone seems to be a way lighter color that usual, also it's more pronounced. 7. his whole face is sensitive to the touch. I noticed as i took pictures of him that he shut his eyes tightly as he wiped the leaf from his face. I'll post pictures.
Tuck's in a new habitat since i've moved into a dorm in downtown chicago. For two weeks he had to live without an enclosure while i built him one. Before the enclosure he seemed super happy and healthy. It's been two weeks in his new enclosure, and he's adjusted his enclosure until now. Could this be associated to his change of behavior? He has a MVB bulb, a large heating pad, i use cypress mulch for bedding. His temps are 95 at the basking, 76 in his shade side, and his hide has a temp of around 89. Is temp the problem? I keep humidity at around 50%. A small part of me wonders if hes acting more lively and so on because he's finally getting optimal conditions, and im not used to it. I dont know, maybe im being a overly worried mom. I do worry a lot for him. arg. =( If you need any other information, just ask.

IMG_8915.jpg

IMG_8906.jpg

IMG_8896.jpg

IMG_8886.jpg

IMG_8852.jpg

IMG_8818.jpg

IMG_8780.jpg

IMG_8775.jpg

IMG_8758.jpg

IMG_8709.jpg

IMG_8740.jpg

IMG_8702.jpg

IMG_8706.jpg

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
Are you saying that you are applying superglue (the stuff you buy at Walmart)? First of all, superglue emits an odor and releases chemicals that can make even your eyes tear. The vet that told you to put superglue on the cracks of his mouth is a jerk, in my opinion. There is surgical glue that they put on shells that are cracked, but "superglue" on his mouth? Your tort is probably allergic to the stuff as I would be. I would check with others here on the forum to see if anyone ever heard of a thing. My advise would be to stop what you're doing and go to a vet that really knows how to treat torts.

Please someone chime in on this one!!!!

Com'on people--is there anyone who knows about "super-gluing" the face of a tort?

I'm trying to get some of the experts here to advise you.

Com'on people--is there anyone who knows about "super-gluing" the face of a tort?
[/quote]

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Well, I have used superglue on cuts and such (like on a finger or hand) but would not think of doing this application in an area so close to an eye or near a breathing nose....hmmm? I believe I would not do this, no, I know that I would not do this...

My first thought after I read your thread and then scrolled down to the photos was "why the hell did your vet not do a beak trim vs telling you to glue the cracks?, this would have solved the reason that the cracks are creeping up his mouth/head----his beak is too long, likely if often fed cut or torn up food close to his mouth size for easier eating, right? well, this is indeed easier for eating but then allows a beak to get out of control (also, perhaps he has a bit of calcium deficiency in his past)...you may want to plan a gradual beak trimming schedule until that beak is back under control---I would not suggest you doing this nor that vet that told you to glue his cracks---but rather find a qualified and experienced person that has done it before and is sure and confident in their trimming skills...You can aid in allowing your tort to self trim by placing flat rounded rocks into the enclosure so he can bite and and rub his beak on the rough surface...you can also feed him on a piece of concrete or slate...which will do the same in allowing him to file that beak down and also to maintain the beak to a nice shape...and also no cutting the food---allow him to work at the food and bite at the larger leafs to work that beak down...

Also, likely the sudden reaction he showed while applying the super glue was likely due to it simply burned when it hit a deep open part of the crack...ouch...

dcwolfe

5 Year Member
Mesa, AZ
ascott said:
Well, I have used superglue on cuts and such (like on a finger or hand) but would not think of doing this application in an area so close to an eye or near a breathing nose....hmmm? I believe I would not do this, no, I know that I would not do this...

My first thought after I read your thread and then scrolled down to the photos was "why the hell did your vet not do a beak trim vs telling you to glue the cracks?, this would have solved the reason that the cracks are creeping up his mouth/head----his beak is too long, likely if often fed cut or torn up food close to his mouth size for easier eating, right? well, this is indeed easier for eating but then allows a beak to get out of control (also, perhaps he has a bit of calcium deficiency in his past)...you may want to plan a gradual beak trimming schedule unl that beak is back under control---I would not suggest you doing this nor that vet that told you to glue his cracks---but rather find a qualified and experienced person that has done it before and is sure and confident in their trimming skills...You can aid in allowing your tort to self trim by placing flat rounded rocks into the enclosure so he can bite and and rub his beak on the rough surface...you can also feed him on a piece of concrete or slate...which will do the same in allowing him to file that beak down and also to maintain the beak to a nice shape...and also no cutting the food---allow him to work at the food and bite at the larger leafs to work that beak down...

Also, likely the sudden reaction he showed while applying the super glue was likely due to it simply burned when it hit a deep open part of the crack...ouch...
His beak is really large I would also agre that he is allergic to the glue. I would deffinatly stop the use of it ASAP. He doesn't look like he's in terrible shape as he is still eating and moving around. I would really focus on the beak and not use the glue anymore. Beautiful looking tortoise though and I bet he loves his new enclosure.

kanalomele

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
East Bay area
Oh please stop superglue-ing your torts face, I strongly disagree with your vet, cannot imagine a worse thing to do, as super glue is very dehydrating. Even surgical glue is never used near human or animal eyes or mouths. A beak trim is definitely in order since his bite is so bad, but since he is still eating clearly, I'd give him some cuttlebone and feed him on a piece of concrete to start with.

mainey34

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
I totally agree.. while I was reading I kept thinking. Omg, I know that stuff stinks. To put it on your tortoise..your vet is a quack. I've never heard of that either. I too think you need to find a qualified reptile vet. Let's hope there is no damage done. I don't know what super glue would really would do to help anyways..

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
Seems everyone agrees to find a new vet and fire this one. If you can't find a close one in the vet listings on this site, try a local Herpetological society for referral help. Lucky you with such a great looking Leo! Please keep us up to date.

travyn

5 Year Member
Chicago, IL
Alright, so the super glue is out! My tort refuses to use a cuttlebone, and he eats off a rock. But maybe i'll keep insisting that he try one. I'll make sure not to tear up his food anymore, if that promotes beak growth. He has had a major calcium problem in the past, (you can read his bio on my page), so yes that is why we have a beak.
He actually received a beak trimming from the vet in stl the very same day he told me to superglue his cracks. So this vet also doesnt trim beaks properly? Ug, i cant tell you how many 'vets' have led me astray. now that I'm in Chicago hopefully I'll find someone who can really help me.
btw, i'm still unsure of the condition of his face. I think the cracks are really hurting him =(
Thanks, everyone for posting!

CDNPyxis

5 Year Member
Virginia
I assume the crack is where the divot is in his beak. Do the two sides move? does it look irritated? It is not obvious to me in the pictures, Leopards will get these grooves in their beak and the edges can get quite serrated.

If the cracks go right through the beak and are unstable, superglue is not going to be enough. If they are just small cracks I am not sure that you really have a problem.

As many have already said, the front of his beak needs to be trimmed, if you are comfortable, you can do it yourself with a dremel.

I got a tortoise with a cracked beak, right in the front middle, it was unstable, the two sides moved relative to each other so it would not heal, I had to epoxy it together, and now it is fine. I really do not see a purpose in the superglue, it is not strong enough to keep two sides together as they are under a lot of pressure when he eats.

Craig

l0velesly

10 Year Member!
Lynnwood, WA
You should probably look for a different vet and stop using the glue. Looks like the beak is still overgrown! For now, you should get him a cuttle bone to help him wear down that beak :p

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
I glad you have the information you need to take care of your tort. Please keep us posted on his progress.

Watsonpartyof4

5 Year Member
STOP The super glue! The fumes are toxic to humans! Poor thing!

My Tyrone has lower beak cracks, the vet I go to uses a dremel, he said you should never ever use anything else, it causes cracks! And he suggested I NOT try it myself because of the cracks. It will need to be trimmed every 6 weeks if he is not filing it down on his own. I don't mind taking him if it will help. It cost 14 bucks, but I don't care!

The first vet we went to used dog nail clippers! They wouldn't let me go back and I was so upset I should have said no, and left, I believe his cracks got worse after that.

Up his calcium, was what the vet told me. Make sure it is not getting worse. It will take about year to heal completely. Make sure it doesn't look infected or smells. If it does or I am in doubt I should call right away get him seen he might need some antibiotics.

If he won't eat the cuttlefish bone... At first my Tyrone hated his, attacked it and now loves it..... Use a knife and scrape some onto his food. Since I did that, he loves nibbling at his.

Good luck!

AZtortMom

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sunny AZ
I'm so glad you are using the the glue anymore! I'm glad you are getting a new Vet!

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
Something I just thought of to help with the beak trimming, I feed my Russians ”Fall squash baby food". I get the organic stuff because why not, right? I feed this on a piece of broken concrete. The act of them eating it and scraping their beak to get it all,(they love it) helps to keep their beaks trimmed. With my sulcatas, I just dump it on their grazing area as their beaks don't seem to over grow as much or fast as the Russians. Just a thought.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
Cowboy_Ken said:
just thought of to help with the beak trimming, I feed my Russians ”Fall squash baby food". I get the organic stuff because why not, right? I feed this on a piece of broken concrete. The act of them eating it and scraping their beak to get it all,(they love it) helps to keep their beaks trimmed.

love this idea!!

turtletania

5 Year Member
All my torts eat from broken tile pieces (upside down)... cheap, easy to replace and great for beak maintenance.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
scraping baby food from tile, concrete or a flat rock is definitely going to do more trimming down than a tort chomping on greens from a tile. ;) that's why i LOVE IT!!

p.s. i would LOVE to see your 1200+ tort collection! !! i bet you have some amazing stuff!

Status
Not open for further replies.