my intro

Status
Not open for further replies.

lsaldana

5 Year Member
Hi all- I just joined this forum today. My family has owned two DTs since 1960s, both male. One is CA, one is TX (we have always assumed TX, anyway- he's much smaller than the CA-DT).

They live in a large backyard from spring to fall, graze on grass, with supplemental food (flowers, fruit, veggies, crushed egg shells, etc.) They are kept in separate areas to avoid territorial conflicts- when they've gotten out of their respective areas, they get physically aggressive quickly: head wobbling, attempts to tip over etc.

I've inherited them after my mother's death in December, and I'm preparing to hibernate them soon (night temp is in 50s) as she did for decades: in basic cardboard boxes in the garage, with newspaper "bedding." It's dry and the temp is usually in the 50 degrees range. (If anyone has concerns or suggestions about changing this situation, pls advise.)

Do they need anything else? Padding in the box? I've read about soaking them? Is that necessary (I put them in water when it's been really hot, but rarely otherwise).

We live in San Diego, and years ago when we first got them we unfortunately left them out in the rain and cold all winter. As soon as we learned more about them we began improving their care and protecting them during hibernation. My mom clearly did something right- they have been with us for 40+ years.

So... I'm now their "guardian" and want to be learning more from other tort owners re:how to manage their care and keep them thriving for a few more decades. I look forward to hearing from others on this forum.

Thanks in advance for your ideas and suggestions re:best ways to hibernate them- they are definitely ready.

Lori

Torty Mom

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Bakersfield, California
Welcome to TFO!!! I think I posted on your other thread! I think that is great that they have been in your family for so long! My youngest son, will get all my torties!!

I have 2 CDT's 1 hatchling and one 18 year old and an Ornate Boxie. Please post pictures!!!

:D Mary Anne

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
Welcome Lori. I can't help you with your torts, but I think is wonderful that you are taking over for your Mom. I inherited my Dad's box turtles, and the oldest one he had for well over 60 years. Fascinating!

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Wow Lori that is great! Sorry your mother isn't with you any more, but she did leave you a great part of her. Hope they help you to feel she is still close to you.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Lori:

Welcome to the forum!!

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
Welcome to the forum and I am sorry to hear about your mother, that is a beautiful "gift" she left you.

H

Happy

Hello everyone! I am new to the forum. I know that forums are a good place to learn and interact with other people , so that People can share their experience with eachother.
(spam link removed by moderator)

Status
Not open for further replies.