My injured tortoise

Status
Not open for further replies.

amyleigh

5 Year Member
My tortoise has 2 small punture wounds on her shell, not sure how she got them, we do have a dog, but not neccesarily the dog that did it. Not sure what to do. Here are some photos.

Attachments

• untitled.png
    untitled.png
    2.6 MB · Views: 63

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi amyleigh:

Anytime you see an injury on your tortoise, or any of your animals for that matter, you can do the same first aid treatment that you would do if you found that injury on yourself. If you think you would only clean it and put a first aid ointment on it if it were on you, then that's what you would do for the tortoise. If you thought you needed to see a doctor, then that's what you would do for your tortoise.

In this case, you can clean the area real well with a germ killer, or flush it out with peroxide, then apply an antibiotic ointment such as Neo Sporin.

Your main concern is to try to figure out how this happened. Once an animal has bitten a tortoise, it will keep coming back again and again. Until eventually your tortoise is eaten.

The main thing is to be sure you have the wound very clean so it doesn't get infected.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello. Never, ever leave your dog alone with your tortoise, no matter how well you think they get along. Too many and stories of dogs mutilating or killing tortoises that they have always lived with. I would bet it was the dog

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
In addition...if the wounds have opened the torts body to air I would make sure not to let flies get on/to the wounds....

Status
Not open for further replies.