Injured tortoise

Lyn W

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
UK
We need to have a permit to keep them here.
The vets around here are also so expensive. In Dec I had a dog that got poisoned and they basically said that if I don't pay a certain amount they couldn't treat him. Its been quite tough for us here lately and my husband has been without work since last year April. He's found something now but it is commission based. That's why in desperation I thought that I would see if there was something that I could do to treat her.
Pearly has given some good advice above to go on until more experienced keepers come along.
It will be in shock so keep it warm at all times and quiet for now (thankfully it is warm in S Africa at the moment isn't it?)
Make sure it has access to shelter/shade in whatever you are keeping it in and water in something like a shallow plant saucer available at all times. If you have some dandelions around that haven't been sprayed with any chemicals wash them and
leave some in with it in case it feels like eating (or any salad leaves such as escarole, endive, radicchio, lambs lettuce)
It is good it is walking that may mean there is no nerve damage - infection is the biggest risk and will probably need antibiotics.
Thank you for doing what you can the poor baby has more of a chance than if left to fend for itself.
Are there any animal rescue places or charities near you that could advise you or take it in?
Could you ring a vet and explain what has happened and see what they say?

Last edited:
M

Maggie Cummings

Yvonne is too sick to sit at the computer.
So...
If you can get to a drug store get Chlorhexidine, that's the blue stuff DR sterilize instruments with. mix it 20 parts water to 1 part chlorhexidine, up his temp to about 95 degrees, keep him dry on paper towels and keep an antibiotic ointment on it. Soak in warm water daily. Wrap it in sterile gauze so flies can't get to it. Looks like you're gonna have to do it mostly yourself. Clean bandage daily and keep the ointment on. Offer him different lettuces or weeds....and he needs to drink. I'm sorry I'm not more help.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
So...
If you can get to a drug store get Chlorhexidine, that's the blue stuff DR sterilize instruments with. mix it 20 parts water to 1 part chlorhexidine, up his temp to about 95 degrees, keep him dry on paper towels and keep an antibiotic ointment on it. Soak in warm water daily. Wrap it in sterile gauze so flies can't get to it. Looks like you're gonna have to do it mostly yourself. Clean bandage daily and keep the ointment on. Offer him different lettuces or weeds....and he needs to drink. I'm sorry I'm not more help.
Thanks Maggie!

Pearly

5 Year Member
Central Texas, Austin area
So...
God bless you for that Maggie! Thank you! I hope Yvonne gets to feeling better

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
How's the little one doing now? Is she alert and tries to more around? Maggie gave you some good advice. Can I get a better look at her underside? I need to see how deep the bites are and where. Also, are there other injuries other than the bites (crushed shell)? In any care, the main things to remember is keeping the for warm, dry with sterile gauze wraps except when you're soaking her, and stress free. The real danger is infection. IF the damage effected organs and/or there's internal bleeding, you'll need to buy antibiotics online. Speak to a vet about the doses which will depend on the weight of the tort. It may be a good idea just to give her antibiotics since there's no way of knowing what internal injuries there are unless you take her to a vet. It's better to be safe than sorry afterwards.

deadheadvet

10 Year Member!
Cary, NC
Best advice since the tortoise is not going to the vet: clean the open wounds with Dakins solution (look it up on the web on how to make it) clean twice a day and figure out how to keep those open areas covered. May need a lot of non adhesive strips. Also keep the tortoise dry like in a tub with shredded newspaper or paper towels. Antibiotics would be nice but do the best you can. Soak daily before cleaning with Dakins to hydrate the tortoise. Good luck.

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
Best advice since the tortoise is not going to the vet: clean the open wounds with Dakins solution (look it up on the web on how to make it) clean twice a day and figure out how to keep those open areas covered. May need a lot of non adhesive strips. Also keep the tortoise dry like in a tub with shredded newspaper or paper towels. Antibiotics would be nice but do the best you can. Soak daily before cleaning with Dakins to hydrate the tortoise. Good luck.
Thanks Doc for your input

Tracy C

Thank you so much everyone, so far she is still ok and my daughter and I have been giving placing her in water. She seems to be drinking the water which is a big relief but I don't think that she is eating. She is walking on all fours but she seems to be a little lethargic. We have been keeping her inside on a clean face cloth. I have been using an antibacterial cream on her. I will get my daughter to make the dakins now. thanks again

Tracy C

Thank you so much Sibi, do you think that I should try and get some anti biotic for her? She very small and I don't even think she weighs 1kg

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
You really need to speak with a vet. The vet here gave you some advice, but, you can send him a personal message and ask him about the antibiotics. You really need to get a food scale and weigh the little baby. That's gonna be vital to give to the vet. Be patient. The baby is injured, and he may have some damage to his internal organs. When torts are injured, they just don't eat. To keep him hydrated and keep his electrolytes up, you'll need to use something like what they give babies when they are sick and not eating. Here we have bottles of plain, unflavored electrolyte solutions we feed babies. You can either buy that and put it into his soaks, or, I think the World organization has a website on how to make it at home. I don't have the website on hand to give you, but, I'll try and get it for you. You really need that solution to put in his soaks. Then, just give him time to repair himself. It will take sometimes weeks, but even if he's not eating, they can survive a long time without eating so long as the soaks have electrolytes added to it. I hope he makes it.
Have you thought about finding a rescue shelter nearby that knows how to treat an injured tort? If there's one you can take it to, he may have a better chance for survival. It would be better to give the tort up if it means he will live. It's hard, I know, but love for this little baby may dictate that that would be the best thing for him. Keep me posted.

Tracy C

We are going to take it to a vet, the poor little one looks very still. I hope she makes it

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
We are going to take it to a vet, the poor little one looks very still. I hope she makes it
Great! They can x-ray her little body and see if the internal organs are affected. Keep us posted.

Pearly

5 Year Member
Central Texas, Austin area
Thank you so much Sibi, do you think that I should try and get some anti biotic for her? She very small and I don't even think she weighs 1kg
For the antibiotic dose you really need an accurate weight. Dose that's too low won't do any good and too high can kill the tort. By the size of it on your picture, this baby definitely is not even close to 1 kg. I'd look for wildlife rescue group in your area and turn this poor baby in, let her be treated professionally. I can't even imagine the pain she must be suffering.

Tracy C

We took her to the vet but she unfortunately didn't make it. Thanks for all your help everyone

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
So sorry. She was crushed by the jaw of the dog. Internal organs were damaged, but at least she's not suffering anymore :'(