My Greek Tort: "Frankie"

JNF

I adopted Frankie two summers ago when he was left behind by his family. I've learned how to care for him by reading threads on the TF and reading articles. Frankie seems to be doing just fine, but it is unrealistic for him to spend much time outdoors in Washington state due to the climate. His habitat is a kiddie pool with a tortoise lamp, substrate, water ramp, food bowl and a place to hide. He has enough substrate to burrow himself in which is most of the year. I give him a bath 2 x week where he will soak for 10-15 minutes in lukewarm water. He eats 2-3 x per week: Romaine, raddichio, rose petals and leaves, dandelions, pansies, etc. I also sprinkle a combination of Zoo Med Natural Grassland Tortoise Food and T-Rex Tortoise Dry Formula. He loves eating the latter.

I read that Greeks should not be picked up too often so I only do so when I bathe him and to let him run around during the two warm months outside (w/supervision) so he can eat the grasses, weeks, and soak up the sunshine. The other months he wanders around my enclosed living room 2-4 hours at a time. He is inquisitive and has quite the personality.

My concern is that as of late, he is more nocturnal and races around his kiddie pool or in an enclosed room non-stop for a few hours before he burrows down for 1-2 days. He seems just fine, but his activity level is something new and I wonder if I should be concern. I also do not know what it means when he stretches his neck out and makes a "croaking" gesture with his neck without making a sound.

I would appreciate any insights or thoughts. Thank you!

FullSizeRender-2.jpg FullSizeRender-2 copy.jpg IMG_3663.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

ascott

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Apple Valley, California
I adopted Frankie two summers ago when he was left behind by his family. I've learned how to care for him by reading threads on the TF and reading articles. Frankie seems to be doing just fine, but it is unrealistic for him to spend much time outdoors in Washington state due to the climate. His habitat is a kiddie pool with a tortoise lamp, substrate, water ramp, food bowl and a place to hide. He has enough substrate to burrow himself in which is most of the year. I give him a bath 2 x week where he will soak for 10-15 minutes in lukewarm water. He eats 2-3 x per week: Romaine, raddichio, rose petals and leaves, dandelions, pansies, etc. I also sprinkle a combination of Zoo Med Natural Grassland Tortoise Food and T-Rex Tortoise Dry Formula. He loves eating the latter.

I read that Greeks should not be picked up too often so I only do so when I bathe him and to let him run around during the two warm months outside (w/supervision) so he can eat the grasses, weeks, and soak up the sunshine. The other months he wanders around my enclosed living room 2-4 hours at a time. He is inquisitive and has quite the personality.

My concern is that as of late, he is more nocturnal and races around his kiddie pool or in an enclosed room non-stop for a few hours before he burrows down for 1-2 days. He seems just fine, but his activity level is something new and I wonder if I should be concern. I also do not know what it means when he stretches his neck out and makes a "croaking" gesture with his neck without making a sound.

I would appreciate any insights or thoughts. Thank you!

Hi.....daily warm waters soaks are good....daily food offerings are good, not required daily...but if you offer daily then you can determine his eating desires/habits and adjust from there....and if he likes the Zoomed tortoise food then offer a bit more, it will not hurt him to offer each time you offer food....well, I understand that some folks are limited with weather and outside time/space...I also understand that some folks dedicate some space in their home to allow the tort to roam and get exercise....I totally get it, but please please please understand that a tortoise is subject to all kinds of trouble when allowed to free roam in our homes...so if you are in no other position but to do this, then pleas do dedicate a space that has been tortoise proofed to assure no unnecessary risks jump out at the tortoise...closing doors, doors accidentally left open and tortoise gets out, pets should not be allowed in the same space as the tortoise at the same time, children should be taught proper ways to handle a tort in that open space....people walking could cause crushing risk, etc....just sharing those increased hazardous risks....and not scolding nor lecturing :)

Tortoise as a whole generally don't appreciate being lifted up high and carried fast...so if you need to move the tortoise ...remember, low and slow --tortoise speed..also, once you allow a tortoise to know that there is a large space to roam about in, like a living room, then you place the tortoise back in the enclosure that is much smaller than the living room...the tortoise now does not understand why it is in the limited smaller space and may then begin to pace, climb and seem overall distressed....so this will need to be something you will deal with in your individual situation....tortoise are also not always quiet, they can be vocal...so that alone is not a problem...how do you keep the temps steady in that enclosure? what is the average day and night temps?

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Welcome to the forum! :tort:

Torts in general-not only Greek torts- are NOT to be picked up unless necessary.

Where do you live and what is the weather like back there? If it is dry I would suggest a daily soak in warm water, so as to avoid dehydration and pyramiding.;)

(By the way, even I have a Greek tort:<3: I am madly in love with).

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
Hello. I am in Spokane Valley WA, and keep my Russians outside March to Oct. I built a heated night box for cool days and night. They are brought in to hibernate. I don't know how different Frankies requirements are, I have Russians, Leopards and a Sulcata. All tortoises are happier outside.

JNF

Hi.....daily warm waters soaks are good....daily food offerings are good, not required daily...but if you offer daily then you can determine his eating desires/habits and adjust from there....and if he likes the Zoomed tortoise food then offer a bit more, it will not hurt him to offer each time you offer food....well, I understand that some folks are limited with weather and outside time/space...I also understand that some folks dedicate some space in their home to allow the tort to roam and get exercise....I totally get it, but please please please understand that a tortoise is subject to all kinds of trouble when allowed to free roam in our homes...so if you are in no other position but to do this, then pleas do dedicate a space that has been tortoise proofed to assure no unnecessary risks jump out at the tortoise...closing doors, doors accidentally left open and tortoise gets out, pets should not be allowed in the same space as the tortoise at the same time, children should be taught proper ways to handle a tort in that open space....people walking could cause crushing risk, etc....just sharing those increased hazardous risks....and not scolding nor lecturing :)

Tortoise as a whole generally don't appreciate being lifted up high and carried fast...so if you need to move the tortoise ...remember, low and slow --tortoise speed..also, once you allow a tortoise to know that there is a large space to roam about in, like a living room, then you place the tortoise back in the enclosure that is much smaller than the living room...the tortoise now does not understand why it is in the limited smaller space and may then begin to pace, climb and seem overall distressed....so this will need to be something you will deal with in your individual situation....tortoise are also not always quiet, they can be vocal...so that alone is not a problem...how do you keep the temps steady in that enclosure? what is the average day and night temps?

Thank you so much for your response. I had not thought about Frankie's adjustment to different spaces. When he roams around the living room, he is void of anything else and because it is a step-down room, he is limited to the space. I cover the two vents, lift lamp cords, etc. But....now that I have your information, I will limit him to his kiddie pool. I'm planning on building him a habitat outside so he can take advantage of the natural sunlight; however, living in Western Washington, the sun doesn't always peek out. I run a basking lamp (75w) 12 hours a day for him, Frank basks under it a few hours at a time. On average, his kiddie pool hovers at about 80 degrees. Based on your information and a few others below, I will soak him more than twice a week.

My other concern is when I will need to re-home him and how that process will work. Frankie is supposedly 25 yo and I am 60 so I know there will be a time when I cannot care for him appropriately. I have grown oh so fond of him. I am a middle school teacher so I did not take your information as a "lecture" or "scolding" rather, I appreciated the information.

JNF

Welcome to the forum! :tort:

Torts in general-not only Greek torts- are NOT to be picked up unless necessary.

Where do you live and what is the weather like back there? If it is dry I would suggest a daily soak in warm water, so as to avoid dehydration and pyramiding.;)

(By the way, even I have a Greek tort:<3: I am madly in love with).
Thank you for your reply and information. Frankie lives in Western Washington state so the weather is typically cool and rainy most of the year. I have grown so fond of him and want to be sure I am caring for him appropriately.

JNF

Hello. I am in Spokane Valley WA, and keep my Russians outside March to Oct. I built a heated night box for cool days and night. They are brought in to hibernate. I don't know how different Frankies requirements are, I have Russians, Leopards and a Sulcata. All tortoises are happier outside.
I appreciate your information. If possible, can you please post your picture of the heated night box you use outside. I would like to do the same for Frankie so he can take advantage of the little sunshine and warm weather when he can. Thank you!

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Thank you for your reply and information. Frankie lives in Western Washington state so the weather is typically cool and rainy most of the year. I have grown so fond of him and want to be sure I am caring for him appropriately.
If it is cold, please make sure your cute tort is warm.

JNF

Gillian, Thank you. Yes, Frankie has a basking lamp that is on 12 hrs a day. He likes to move in and out from under it. I appreciate your comment.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Thank you so much for your response. I had not thought about Frankie's adjustment to different spaces. When he roams around the living room, he is void of anything else and because it is a step-down room, he is limited to the space. I cover the two vents, lift lamp cords, etc. But....now that I have your information, I will limit him to his kiddie pool. I'm planning on building him a habitat outside so he can take advantage of the natural sunlight; however, living in Western Washington, the sun doesn't always peek out. I run a basking lamp (75w) 12 hours a day for him, Frank basks under it a few hours at a time. On average, his kiddie pool hovers at about 80 degrees. Based on your information and a few others below, I will soak him more than twice a week.

My other concern is when I will need to re-home him and how that process will work. Frankie is supposedly 25 yo and I am 60 so I know there will be a time when I cannot care for him appropriately. I have grown oh so fond of him. I am a middle school teacher so I did not take your information as a "lecture" or "scolding" rather, I appreciated the information.

Oh well, you have plenty of years to make a long term plan for his future in the event you don't feel as though you are offering what he needs....so I would not worry too much about that....if you do find yourself ever in the position to rehome him, you can simply begin that process here by posting a thread offering the tortoise up for rehoming and then outline what your wish list is for the new person...:D

An outdoor space is great to offer....even if that is for part of the year....you can also set up an indoor enclosure with long term care ease in mind....perhaps a longer enclosure so the reach in/across is not a big issue....the lighting set up on a timer....and the like...I am 48 years old and I find myself already doing this planning for the tortoise and turtle here....ease allows you more time to enjoy and also allows the tortoise/turtle to settle into a good reliable routine...which they seem to thrive on....