My first tortoise

stoney

Hi all,
I just took in a tortoise from what I think was a not so great home. He is a three year old russian tortoise. We got him on Sunday. He came w a 45 gallon aquarium, heat lamp, hiding log, water dush and food dish. I was told he had gone two days w no heat bulb because it burned out. He came home with in his aquarium and had an hour ride. I cleaned a rubbermaid bin with lemon water and put him in that. I cleaned all that came with him in lemon water too. Then I scooped some incredibly nasty reptibark out....it had two beetle like creatures in it....and hosed the aqurium down outside. Then cleaned that w lemon water too. I put in fresh reptibark and all his other pieces. Then got the new bulb for the heat lamp set and the 30" uva/uvb light set up. He has hardly eaten since he arrived. I have not handledhim much so he could get settled with as little stress as possible. My friend who tirtoises said to try some banana to see if he would eat. I know fruit is to be a limited part of his diet but he did eat it. He ate one slicea mini apple too. Otherwise he just burrows and lies under the heat lamp. I have left collard greens, carrots, zuchinni and broccoli in his food dish along w dry tortoise food but he only has eaten the fruit I stuck in front of hus face. His eyes and nose are clear and I don't see anything odd like soft spots on his shell. Should I be worried?

lismar79

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Ohio USA
I would not be worried yet. Change is hard for torts, they are creatures of habbit. It may take him weeks to get use to you. Read up on Toms links.
Its sounds like you really do want to give this little one a better life and this would be how: read up on propper diet and habitat. This is a great place to learn both. & welcome!

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Hello Stoney welcome to the TFO from AZ . Have a great tort day !

Sent from my iPhone using TortForum

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
Hi and welcome. I always love to hear of people who could recognize that a tort may not have been taken good care of. Thank God for people like you. I know you'll provide a great home for your little guy.

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
Hello Stoney and welcome. Like Sylvia said, Thank God to have people like you and I'm glad that s/he is with you now. Tom already provided with some reading material. so Happy reading and really good to have you here.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Welcome to the Forum!

1028762jld543t69m.gif

stoney

Hi all,
Thanks for the information and warm welcome. I switched out his water bowl to a terracotta plate. I am going to give him some luke warm soaks daily for a bit to be sure he is well hydrated. He did eat more today so that is encouraging! I will keep you posted. I have a 6 year old who is already attached to this guy and just as committed. It's been a great learning experience for him too :)

RainsOn

5 Year Member
NE OK
A-ho! Welcome aboard! This is a super place for advice. You have already changed his life. Animals sense the improvement. He will respond to you. You are in for a great experience. A good thing to teach your child: helping animals in need and how to. :rolleyes: