My First Tortoise

RyanTip

Hello everyone,
I just go my first tortoise today and while I am happy I got him, I am worried about treating him properly because he is my first tortoise. His name is Hermes and he is a 5 year old Russian tortoise that was wild caught, but has been in captivity for a few years now. I currently have kale and escarole for food and I'll be getting more tomorrow. I have a shell wax and calcium supplements as well. What I am worried about are a few things: making sure he is hydrated, make sure I have a bond with him so he isn't neglected, and that I keep him at the right temperature. Right now he has been burrowing and hiding, in assuming he's been sleeping because of stress levels, but can anyone give me advise moving forward so I know I am doing a good job for Hermes?

teresaf

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Port Charlotte, Florida
Terracotta saucers are preferred water dishes...
Some people believe Russians don't need water... That they get their hydration from food and they can. YOU could technically live without water too as long as you had citrus to eat...right? Wouldn't like to live like that though, would you? Welcome to the forum... :)

hingeback

5 Year Member
Malaysia
Terracotta saucers are preferred water dishes...
Some people believe Russians don't need water... That they get their hydration from food and they can. YOU could technically live without water too as long as you had citrus to eat...right? Wouldn't like to live like that though, would you? Welcome to the forum... :)
They need water... and yes, terracotta saucers are good water dishes because they are not too steep and the torts would not flip and drown.

RyanTip

ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1452177288.484991.jpg he is currently under his log. The gray dish is the water and I have had water in it since I've gotten him home. Water is readily available for him. The food is the the small brown dish and I'll be adding more to it shortly. I'm worried about heat. I have a 5.0 watt UVB bulb in and it doesn't seem to be getting too warm.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello and welcome.

The ramped water bowl needs to come out ASAP. Those are literally tortoise death traps. They can flip upside down and drown.

Did the pet store also sell you a coil type cfl UV bulb? Those can sometimes burn their eyes and should not be used, also they are not an effective UV source, and the 5.0 models produce almost no UV.

Those two items need to go back to the pet store for a full refund, and you should explain to the management why. Hopefully if enough people do this, they will stop selling those items to tortoise people.

I heard no mention of a heat lamp. What is his heat source? THey must be able to warm up every day, or they can't function.

If he's a WC from a pet shop, there is no way to know the age. He could be 2 or 50.

You don't need the Vita Shell. Its not dangerous, but its unnecessary. I'd take it back too.

Finally, you will need a much larger enclosure than that. Russians need lots of rom to move. 4x8 feet is the usual recommendation for russians. Depending on where you live, you could have a large outdoor enclosure for nice weather, and use the indoor enclosure for not-so-nice weather.

Read these for more explanation of all of this:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/russian-tortoise-care-sheet.80698/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I've not heard of UVB bulbs that are measured like that (5 watt) as providing heat. I suspect you're talking about a compact fluorescent bulb. They don't provide heat, only UVB, and they don't do that very well. I would get rid of that bulb and buy a Mercury Vapor bulb:

zoo-med-powersun-uv-mercury-vapor-uvb-lamp.jpg

This bulb provides heat plus UVB all in one fixture. You will need to set it up in a large dome (10 or 12") fixture that has a ceramic base.

Also, your habitat isn't big enough for a full grown Russian tortoise. You'll need something three times as big.

hingeback

5 Year Member
Malaysia
Your cage is too small. Minimum size would be 4x8ft. Just make it as big as possible. The enclosure also should not be see through, he may get stressed out trying to get pass the glass/plastic. For the substrate never use any type of sand. Are you using coco coir for substrate? His hide and plants are pretty good :)

Last edited:

RyanTip

I'm sorry I had a reptisun 5.0 Uvb. I gave him fresh kale and escarole for food this morning and I took out the gray water dish for a smaller, non-ramped, dish. He hasn't eating his food and just ignored it to walk through it. Is this normal?

Also for the heat/lamp, I have a daylight blue reptile bulb, and a nightlight red reptile bulb now. I took the 5.0 UVB out for now. I only have the red light on for now because I was told the daylight blue light is too hot. Is that correct?

Last edited:

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I'm sorry I had a reptisun 5.0 Uvb. I gave him fresh kale and escarole for food this morning and I took out the gray water dish for a smaller, non-ramped, dish. He hasn't eating his food and just ignored it to walk through it. Is this normal?

If temperatures are not correct, they will not eat, especially at this time of year when they would normally be hibernating.

The coil type bulbs can also blind them and damage their eyes. If caught early enough, the damage will heal, but it does hamper their vision for a while. This might be a factor for yours.

Also, if they are walking somewhere, they don't particularly care what gets in their way and they will simply bulldoze through it.

Coir is fine, but its very messy for a larger russian. I would switch to fine grade orchid bark next time you change it, or if you move him to a bigger enclosure. You can buy orchid bark cheaply in bulk at any garden center. 2.0 cubic foot bags cost around $6. Two or three of those will make a nice substrate for a 4x8' table.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Also for the heat/lamp, I have a daylight blue reptile bulb, and a nightlight red reptile bulb now. I took the 5.0 UVB out for now. I only have the red light on for now because I was told the daylight blue light is too hot. Is that correct?

Colored bulbs are not good for reptiles. They need white "daylight" simulating bulbs during the day and darkness at night. If your house stays above 65F at night, you really don't need any night heat for a russian.

Your basking area should be getting around 100f during the day.

I'm sorry to bombard you with all this info, but your tortoise needs the right set up. Unfortunately, the pet stores give all the wrong advice and sell people all the wrong stuff. You are not alone. This happens to people all the time. While it initially sucks to get this sort of news, in the long run it will make your tortoise experience much more enjoyable, help you avoid expensive veterinary problems, and most importantly, it will keep your tortoise alive and well. I really feel bad for the people who DON'T find us or some other reliable source of correct information, and keep their tortoise the way the pet store recommends.

RyanTip

Thank you everyone for your help. All of have years of experience and guided me to help make a better home for Hermes, my Russian tortoise. I confirmed everything with a vet as well and he has his first check up on Tuesday. I know Hermes is probably scared and stressed, but I hope he becomes more friendly with me over time. Thank you again!