My First Post!

Yve

Location (City and/or State)
UK
Hello everyone my name is Yve, I have always wanted some Tortoise and now find myself in a position to take care of some. Two weeks ago I got two Spur Thigh Tortoise from a local breeder here in the UK. They are only 3 months old so I have them in a tortoise table (Child's Play Pool) With a spotlight for heat and a UVB strip light. I have called them Fuji and Tambora, I look forward to sharing and learning from you lovely people, Many Thanks! IMG_5486.JPG Yve.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Greetings and welcome to this Forum. Make sure that you navigate to the Africa/ Spurr Thighed Tortoise info pages and read, Read READ everything on them. You will want to make many changes to your setup, starting with separating your babies, and having a highly humid enclosure, proper heat, etc. Watering dish, proper temps, etc. Welcome! :)

Alaskamike

South Florida
Welcome to the forum. It sounds like you are very excited to begin this journey with your tortoise friends.

As you do , I'm sure you will find much good info here. Read as much as you can about set ups / lights / food / hydration and humidity and you can raise healthy babies.

A kiddie pool can work well and has room for them to excursive. The down side will be keeping their shells from getting too dried out but there are ways to do this.

Feel free to ask questions and share the journey. Lots of good people here who will do all they can to help you be successful.

Good fortune to you

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Hi and welcome! My service is too slow for me to see your picture.:(

Yve

UK
Greetings and welcome to this Forum. Make sure that you navigate to the Africa/ Spurr Thighed Tortoise info pages and read, Read READ everything on them. You will want to make many changes to your setup, starting with separating your babies, and having a highly humid enclosure, proper heat, etc. Watering dish, proper temps, etc. Welcome! :)
Hi Maro2Bear, Thanks for your welcome! I have a water dish in at all times and constantly check humidity heat, and bath them every other day, just one question why do you think I need to separate them, I thought I didn't need to worry about this until they hit puberty...

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Yve, and welcome to the Forum!

I like everything about your picture! The habitat is large, the substrate is one that can be moistened and looks easy for babies to walk on, you have hiding places, a plant and rocks in the waterer. Your research has paid off!

In my opinion, having more than one baby in the same habitat is a good thing. A little competition for the food helps them eat better. But you have to be alert of any signs of what I refer to as mental bullying. It's not overt actions, but you'll notice one might stay hiding most of the time, or one sleeps in the same space or on top of the other. If this happens, you might try adding a few more sight barriers so the more submissive one can stay out of the dominant baby's sight.

But you probably won't have to worry about it until like you said, they start to reach sexual maturity.

Yve

UK
Hi Yve, and welcome to the Forum!

I like everything about your picture! The habitat is large, the substrate is one that can be moistened and looks easy for babies to walk on, you have hiding places, a plant and rocks in the waterer. Your research has paid off!

In my opinion, having more than one baby in the same habitat is a good thing. A little competition for the food helps them eat better. But you have to be alert of any signs of what I refer to as mental bullying. It's not overt actions, but you'll notice one might stay hiding most of the time, or one sleeps in the same space or on top of the other. If this happens, you might try adding a few more sight barriers so the more submissive one can stay out of the dominant baby's sight.

But you probably won't have to worry about it until like you said, they start to reach sexual maturity.
Many Thanks for your welcome! I do have plans to put in more plants and and I was thinking of putting another spot bulb at the other side, will this help?

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Hello, Eve, and a very warm welcome to Tortoise Forum to you and your two gorgeous Greeks.
Greeks rule! (in my opinion).

Reactions: Yve

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Hi Yve from another part of the UK.
This is the best place to learn all about the correct care for your torts,
so read, search and ask as many questions as you like there's always someone around to help.

Yve

UK
Hi Yve from another part of the UK.
This is the best place to learn all about the correct care for your torts,
so read, search and ask as many questions as you like there's always someone around to help.
Many thanks for your nice welcome! Nice to know someone else from the UK. I'm in Devon.