My enclosure project.

Status
Not open for further replies.

DuttonWebb

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Texas, yeehaw
Hey everyone! I'm moving away from using the plastic container. Here are some picture of the completed table I built using recycled wood (besides the table tops). Anyways I am actually making the "enclosures" out of plywood and I think I may need some kind of water barrier; a tarp of sorts to go on the bottom of each eclosure.
The specs of the tables are... Top lvl: 24"x44" / Lower lvl: 21"X42". First of all is this big enough? regardless of that question, its much larger than what I am using now!

The sides will slope from the back (7") to the front (3.5")
Here is the table
SDC11501.jpg

SDC11506.jpg

I'm still worried if this is pyramiding or not
SDC11503.jpg

I also have a 3' X 3' walled area outside for some fresh air and sun. This pic is without the hide. btw that is max
SDC11511.jpg

SDC11512.jpg
This used to be for horses, but eventually wall-e will be living here. Lots of space and "fertilized" (remember the horses) soil for grass and such.

jobeanator

10 Year Member!
northern new york
yeah that is good size for your sulcata now... sulcatas grow fast quick it seems but you should be good for a year or so with your inside enclosure. i like your outside enclosure you have for him too. id just be careful of any type of predator getting in. make sure your outside enclosure you have is level with the ground so theres no chance of him escaping underneath the enclosure.. i found that out the hard way when i didnt realize my enclosure wasnt level to the ground. also, it looks like your sully has a little bit of pryamiding but isnt anything too bad.

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
Your ideas are great Dutton. :) Just have a few things that might help. :D
Your idea of building plywood tables will be great for Wall-e right now (I'd do him on the bottom), but I'd stick with the plastic container for Sgt. Pepper. The one you have isn't bad sized for a young Redfoot, just that it could be taller. That way you can have a deeper substrate (which will help with humidity) and you could have a top over 2/3 of the enclosure (will also help with humidity). They make ones that are 31 inches long and 12 inches tall. They are very easy to find. You can use that and be on the look out for Christmas tree totes at Walmart. They are a great size, 51 X 22 X 14 inches (about :p).
The outside enclosure is also a great idea, but like was said you will need to cover the pen to keep predators out. Also the sides need to be higher as it's best to have the pen dug into the dirt at least a few inches. That way you know Wall-e won't be able to get under the pen for now. Also stakes pounded into the ground at the corners will help keep a predator from flipping over the pen.

Danny

DuttonWebb

10 Year Member!
Texas, yeehaw
egyptiandan said:
Your ideas are great Dutton. :) Just have a few things that might help. :D
Your idea of building plywood tables will be great for Wall-e right now (I'd do him on the bottom), but I'd stick with the plastic container for Sgt. Pepper. The one you have isn't bad sized for a young Redfoot, just that it could be taller. That way you can have a deeper substrate (which will help with humidity) and you could have a top over 2/3 of the enclosure (will also help with humidity). They make ones that are 31 inches long and 12 inches tall. They are very easy to find. You can use that and be on the look out for Christmas tree totes at Walmart. They are a great size, 51 X 22 X 14 inches (about :p).
The outside enclosure is also a great idea, but like was said you will need to cover the pen to keep predators out. Also the sides need to be higher as it's best to have the pen dug into the dirt at least a few inches. That way you know Wall-e won't be able to get under the pen for now. Also stakes pounded into the ground at the corners will help keep a predator from flipping over the pen.

Danny

Don't worry about the outdoor enclosure. I sit right on the ground next to him and watch him eat. :D

Why wall-e on the bottom?

I have a lid for the plastic container. I'll keep sgt pepper in the plastic then. Today I'm going to the pet shop to get lighting and plants. I'm also dropping by the nursery to get some grass and clover seeds! :D I have another container by my window for growing food.

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
Easier to get a larger than the size table plastic tote on top than on the bottom. :D Also Redfoots like to be all over warm during the day, so the higher up in the room the warmer the temperatures. My Redfoots are up near the ceiling in my room, which keeps them nice and warm.

Danny

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
O.K. Dutton now I have a problem. I showed my two boys your utube and they loved it. I'm sure later I will have to go back there and show them the rest of your videos. Actually looking forward to seeing them myself. The clock is awesome and your tortoise fighting one is too funny they were laughing. I've got to admit you are very focused for being 16 years old. I love your property too. Is that a black labrador retriever that I'm seeing? We have a chocolate one. Anyway keep up the good work your tortoises really look great. Candy

DuttonWebb

10 Year Member!
Texas, yeehaw
Candy said:
O.K. Dutton now I have a problem. I showed my two boys your utube and they loved it. I'm sure later I will have to go back there and show them the rest of your videos. Actually looking forward to seeing them myself. The clock is awesome and your tortoise fighting one is too funny they were laughing. I've got to admit you are very focused for being 16 years old. I love your property too. Is that a black labrador retriever that I'm seeing? We have a chocolate one. Anyway keep up the good work your tortoises really look great. Candy

yes ma'am. Black Lab :] He will never stop playing fetch. He would die before he willingly stopped.

Not sure when my tortoises were fighting? Maybe I'm just not aware of it. Which video? hah. Today I'm updating the progress on my tortoises' enclosures and my clock. be sure to check it out later on.

btw. did you see my rubiks cube skills? :D

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Dutton: Just out of curiosity: are you an only child? Your folks must LOVE that you take on all these projects on your own. A power saw in the hands of a 16 year old! YIPES!!

I think you're going to wish you had put a plastic liner in the new habitat before you put in the substrate. Don't forget, you're supposed to keep it damp. Won't that make your wood warp? Its a good size for your little sulcata. You did good!

Yvonne

DuttonWebb

10 Year Member!
Texas, yeehaw
emysemys said:
Hi Dutton: Just out of curiosity: are you an only child? Your folks must LOVE that you take on all these projects on your own. A power saw in the hands of a 16 year old! YIPES!!

I think you're going to wish you had put a plastic liner in the new habitat before you put in the substrate. Don't forget, you're supposed to keep it damp. Won't that make your wood warp? Its a good size for your little sulcata. You did good!

Yvonne

I dont think warping should be a problem. Its half inch ply. Some moist mulch on top shouldnt warp it, but I will watch it over the next few weeks. But taking your advice and my previous intentions I'll get a tarp sometime this week.

I have one sister who is 26.
Don't worry I've been working with power tools for a long time. It's just one of my hobbies to build things. I'm very careful and I wear ear protection and eye protection most of the time. In this pic I dont have eye protection because its fiber board...Very smooth and easily cut

galvinkaos

5 Year Member
Temple City, Ca
Dutton, I found a good heavy plastic or vinyl shower curtain $5.00-$10.00 works great. I covered the table with it, put weight in to hold it in the corners and left it in the sun a few hours. I cut the corners and used 2 sided duct tape to hold the cuts together. Not water tight but is water resistant. Just watch pouring water near the corners. Don't go cheap on the shower curtain though. The $2.00 - $5.00 split too easy.

Oh and I saw glue but no nails? Your sully will become a bulldozer. you might want to nail or screw it too at some point.

Dawna

DuttonWebb

10 Year Member!
Texas, yeehaw
galvinkaos said:
Dutton, I found a good heavy plastic or vinyl shower curtain $5.00-$10.00 works great. I covered the table with it, put weight in to hold it in the corners and left it in the sun a few hours. I cut the corners and used 2 sided duct tape to hold the cuts together. Not water tight but is water resistant. Just watch pouring water near the corners. Don't go cheap on the shower curtain though. The $2.00 - $5.00 split too easy.

Oh and I saw glue but no nails? Your sully will become a bulldozer. you might want to nail or screw it too at some point.

Dawna

Ive found an old paint tarp from when I painted my room. I'll have to cut it down. I think it should work, maybe I should just go buy the shower curtain. But this is water proof nevertheless.
Did you leave it in the sun to flatten it? make it more stiff???
Don't worry about the glue. Wood glue is tough stuff. The bonds are stronger than the wood itself. I would have used screws, but the material was too thin.

galvinkaos

5 Year Member
Temple City, Ca
I left it in the sun to let it soften and shape to the box. The vinyl flattened out to the wood making it easier to form fit it.

Tortoisetable.jpg

You can kinda see the corner and the liner in this picture.

Dawna

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
I used shower pan liner to line my tort table. It is very thick and heavy, but will last for a very long time and cannot be torn by tort nails digging. It's very thick gray plastic cut from a roll at Home Depot or similar places. Expensive though (maybe $25 for enough for my 8 sq ft table, bottom and up the sides 6 in.). I used 5/8 in. thick wood, and it is nailed together and then the nails are tapped in flush and covered with putty. It is over 5 ft long and 18 in high walls, so we did brackets at the edges, top and bottom, for support. I even dropped the thing and it held nicely. The sides are so tall because I use over 6 in. deep substrate and want to make sure the full grown tort couldn't climb out by using cage furnishings. I think you did a great job, but you're going to want deeper substrate. Hopefully the table wasn't expensive so you can replace it easily as it is outgrown. I ended up spending a couple hundred on mine so I built it to last my little guy until he's close to full grown (and built it custom just as you did for a piece of furniture I bought).

DuttonWebb

10 Year Member!
Texas, yeehaw
tortoisenerd said:
I used shower pan liner to line my tort table. It is very thick and heavy, but will last for a very long time and cannot be torn by tort nails digging. It's very thick gray plastic cut from a roll at Home Depot or similar places. Expensive though (maybe $25 for enough for my 8 sq ft table, bottom and up the sides 6 in.). I used 5/8 in. thick wood, and it is nailed together and then the nails are tapped in flush and covered with putty. It is over 5 ft long and 18 in high walls, so we did brackets at the edges, top and bottom, for support. I even dropped the thing and it held nicely. The sides are so tall because I use over 6 in. deep substrate and want to make sure the full grown tort couldn't climb out by using cage furnishings. I think you did a great job, but you're going to want deeper substrate. Hopefully the table wasn't expensive so you can replace it easily as it is outgrown. I ended up spending a couple hundred on mine so I built it to last my little guy until he's close to full grown (and built it custom just as you did for a piece of furniture I bought).

I spent a total of 30 bucks on my table. Most of it is recycled. I'll put the tarp in tomorrow.

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
DuttonWebb said:
Candy said:

yes ma'am. Black Lab :] He will never stop playing fetch. He would die before he willingly stopped.

Not sure when my tortoises were fighting? Maybe I'm just not aware of it. Which video? hah. Today I'm updating the progress on my tortoises' enclosures and my clock. be sure to check it out later on.

I did Dutton, excellent. My son Alexander and I watched it. He was impressed. They have on too. I know what you mean about never stopping labs from playing. Ours won't let us go outside without playing ball with her. She's crazy that way. I'm going to watch your video now. Candy

Well Dutton I watched your video for today of your table that you built for your Sucata. He is sooo cute and very very active. I find the Sucatas are much more active then the Cherryheads. Very nice job. I also showed my husband your video of your clock. Who is this guy that builds these clocks they're very interesting. My husband is a high school teacher so I really wanted to show him what some 16 year olds are doing in their spare time. He said it was a good use of utube. Thanks for the videos I really enjoy watching them and so do my boys. Oh I saw a guitar hanging on your wall, do you play it much? My son Alexander plays the guitar and his brother plays the piano. :) Candy

DuttonWebb

10 Year Member!
Texas, yeehaw
Candy said:
DuttonWebb said:
Candy said:

I did Dutton, excellent. My son Alexander and I watched it. He was impressed. They have on too. I know what you mean about never stopping labs from playing. Ours won't let us go outside without playing ball with her. She's crazy that way. I'm going to watch your video now. Candy

Well Dutton I watched your video for today of your table that you built for your Sucata. He is sooo cute and very very active. I find the Sucatas are much more active then the Cherryheads. Very nice job. I also showed my husband your video of your clock. Who is this guy that builds these clocks they're very interesting. My husband is a high school teacher so I really wanted to show him what some 16 year olds are doing in their spare time. He said it was a good use of utube. Thanks for the videos I really enjoy watching them and so do my boys. Oh I saw a guitar hanging on your wall, do you play it much? My son Alexander plays the guitar and his brother plays the piano. :) Candy

the sully is so active in his new enclosure! it's so exciting to see work pay off. The red foot seems happier with much more humidity and warmth. I feel like a better keeper already :D
The clockworks designer is clayton boyer. He lives in hawaii. He is a brilliant man.
I started playing guitar almost two years ago, that guitar on the wall is from my dad. He played it in highschool. Guitar is how I usually end my days. It's calming.

galvinkaos

5 Year Member
Temple City, Ca
DuttonWebb said:
I started playing guitar almost two years ago, that guitar on the wall is from my dad. He played it in highschool. Guitar is how I usually end my days. It's calming.

Dutton it is calming as long as there is no amp attached. I remember my brother playing his electric late into the night. I don't remember the calming part though.:D

I wanted to tell you I have 2 kids and you are very impressive for your age. Keep up the good work and attitude and you will go far in life.

Dawna

Sunrise

5 Year Member
very nicee..
I'm wondering how do you clean up the poop and pee? do you pick it up or do you change the substrate? if so how many times/ day/ week?

Mostly people here just using newspaper for the substrate for easy clean up.

Status
Not open for further replies.