My Enclosure is Finally Complete!

SunnySideUp

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Michigan
Since spring has been rather slow-approaching, I've had a lot of time to accumulate decor items for my future tortoise's enclosure. However, since it's been too darn cold for any stores to carry topsoil, only recently was I able to fill in the substrate and finally get decorating! Here's the finished product (unless you tortoise forum members come up with any other cool things to put in ;) ). Since my temps have all checked out, it looks like everything will be ready for when I can finally get my little tortie shipped to me within the next few weeks or so!

My tortoise table is 6' long so it was a little difficult getting everything in the photo at once.

Tort Encl Bask.JPG Tort Encl Food Dish.JPG Tort Encl Tunnel Close Up.jpg Tort Enclosure Wide Shot.JPG

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
Very, very nice. May I know what are the measurement of this enclosure? The high from the substrate to the button of the heat light fixture and the tube UVB light?

Thanks.

SunnySideUp

5 Year Member
Michigan
The enclosure is 6' by 2.5' and the tube UVB is 12 inches above substrate and the heat lamp is around 15 inches. The heat bulb is on a dimmer so I can adjust the heat without moving it. Basking temp is in the high 90's, around 98.

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
The enclosure is 6' by 2.5' and the tube UVB is 12 inches above substrate and the heat lamp is around 15 inches. The heat bulb is on a dimmer so I can adjust the heat without moving it. Basking temp is in the high 90's, around 98.

Thank you for the reply, very useful info, that gave me a perspective of you enclosure. Thanks.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
I'm sorry to tell you....but you are wrong...
Your tortoise enclosure is NEVER FINISHED :D :p:cool:

In all seriousness, it looks good. Maybe you can mount the hydrometer. I've had half a dozen go bad from torts running them over. It clogs with dirt or something and the screen goes out. But any that are fixed to all wall, work great and last.

SunnySideUp

5 Year Member
Michigan
Thanks everyone for all of your lovely compliments! You are right though, Team Gomberg, I'll probably never stop tweaking my enclosure :p There are so many things that could be added! Plus I'm growing lots of flowers that I could put in there, for however long they'd last, haha. Good advice about mounting the hydrometer! I certainly will.

Evy

5 Year Member
San Diego, CA
Look great!
Where do you got your feeding rock(flat rock)?

Blue (European hunt-mix dog)
Dolly (Yorkie dog)
Penny (Sulcata)

SunnySideUp

5 Year Member
Michigan
It's actually a piece of a square stepping stone that broke. One of the pieces came out all nice and uniform so I decided to repurpose it :)

Evy

5 Year Member
San Diego, CA
It's actually a piece of a square stepping stone that broke. One of the pieces came out all nice and uniform so I decided to repurpose it :)
Even better!

Dolly (Yorkie dog)
Penny (Sulcata)

Evy

5 Year Member
San Diego, CA
What kind of tortoise you have? Also hoe thick is your soil. I see that you have live plants. Mine have die and not sure why... Hm? Maybe they need water frequently instead of every week
Seriously, I think I need a thicker soil

Dolly (Yorkie dog)
Penny (Sulcata)

crimson_lotus

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
Looks beautiful! One thing I would be worried about is possible mold on the wood. I recently had to take one of my redfoot's hiding spots out because of it, since the wood was untreated.

The rest of my enclosure is covered in pond liner to prevent any more from growing.

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
Looks great! Though those smaller white stones may become a snack.....

SunnySideUp

5 Year Member
Michigan
What kind of tortoise you have? Also hoe thick is your soil. I see that you have live plants. Mine have die and not sure why... Hm? Maybe they need water frequently instead of every week
Seriously, I think I need a thicker soil

I actually don't have a tortoise yet, but within a few more weeks I will be getting a Hermann's Tortoise from GBtortoises :) Couldn't be any more excited!

Those plants are actually fake, believe it or not! But my soil is about 3 inches thick

Last edited: