My curse: I can never decide!

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheWarTortoise

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Pennsylvania
Hi it's Mitchell again! I'm not sure about the leopard...or I just can never decide. I'm leaning toward a leopard, or a sulcata. I know that sulcata's get BIG and I have space in my backyard for it. BUT, my parents don't exactly want a big tortoise:( So, I am going to make a powerpoint or something to persuade them to let me get one. If I do, do I need an outdoor enclosure for a baby? I was thinking about getting the baby just a tub from Lowes which I'm using for Brian (my Russian Tortoise) and it works great! And while it's getting big, I build the pen outside for it! I want your guys (and gals) opinions on this because I can always rely on you!

-Mitchell (TheWarTortoise)

Yellow Turtle

5 Year Member
Indonesia
Mitchell, baby sulcata favors greatly from indoor enclosure with high humidity like experienced by many members here. It's nice if you have a protected pen outside for your baby to sunbath every day during good weather.

mainey34

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
If you decide sulcata and get a hatchling. You will need indoor enclosure for first 6months to 2 years. Outdoor enclosure after 1 to 2 years. But you can take out for sun and grazing inbetween then. They get big. And your parents have to be on board. So make sure they will be happy with the decision...

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
mainey34 said:
And your parents have to be on board. So make sure they will be happy with the decision...

This is my key advice. Many sulcata's are rehomed once they become big and destructive. If your parents dont want that, wait til you have your own place.

Hatchling care for leo's and sullys are pretty much the same.
A leopard has a slower growth rate than the sulcata does. You'll have a small leopard for a longer time period than you would have a small sulcata.
Both torts will need an outdoor enclosure even as hatchlings. They wont be in there all day or night, but at least for a few hours a day when the weather is right.

TheWarTortoise

10 Year Member!
Pennsylvania
Team Gomberg said:
mainey34 said:
And your parents have to be on board. So make sure they will be happy with the decision...

This is my key advice. Many sulcata's are rehomed once they become big and destructive. If your parents dont want that, wait til you have your own place.

Hatchling care for leo's and sullys are pretty much the same.
A leopard has a slower growth rate than the sulcata does. You'll have a small leopard for a longer time period than you would have a small sulcata.
Both torts will need an outdoor enclosure even as hatchlings. They wont be in there all day or night, but at least for a few hours a day when the weather is right.

Thanks for the info! And your last sentence there rhymed :)

TheWarTortoise

10 Year Member!
Pennsylvania
Yellow Turtle said:
Mitchell, baby sulcata favors greatly from indoor enclosure with high humidity like experienced by many members here. It's nice if you have a protected pen outside for your baby to sunbath every day during good weather.

Thank you for the information. He/she will be outdoors everyday.

ottosmom18

5 Year Member
I'd go under the species specific tab and read about common problems for both species, which may make it easier to decide.

jtrux

5 Year Member
San Antonio, TX
Leopards still get to be a nice size and dont have the destructive tendencies that sulcatas do. Whats your budget? If you can swing it, get a G Pardalis Pardalis.

evlinLoutries

5 Year Member
Indonesia
Leopard get bigs thou, but it takes a long time,.

So u can relax if u just adopt a hatchlings..

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
are you going to college? will your parents take care of them while you are away? gotta think Long term when dealing with these animals...

TheWarTortoise

10 Year Member!
Pennsylvania
Laura said:
are you going to college? will your parents take care of them while you are away? gotta think Long term when dealing with these animals...

I am still not sure if I'm going to college or not because, to tell you the truth, I've still got a long time to think about it. My parents say that they will take care of my two tortoises if I do though.

Status
Not open for further replies.