My backyard for my CDT and Sulcatta PIC HEAVY

Status
Not open for further replies.

macdeezy

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Prunedale, CA
So I wanted to show how big my backyard is and the 24ftX32ft enclosure I made for the CDT! As you can see I still have enough room for my sulcatta! :)
Here is the CDT enclosure.. I am going to buy some stuff for his 2 burrows I wanna make!
DSCN5129.jpg

DSCN5126.jpg

Here is my backyard! I coouldn't get the whole thing in one pic, so I took a few... Here is the right half looking off my backyard deck! This is where my Sulcatta enclosure will be soon!
DSCN5124.jpg

Here is the left half, with the enclosure!
DSCN5125.jpg

Here is even more to the left where our pond is located!
DSCN5128.jpg

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Very nice. You do know though, the sulcata will walk right thru the CDT enclosure :D.

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
Is the sulcata enclosure going to look like the CDT enclosure? You have a great space for both of them to enjoy?

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Good size...so when I was looking at the first pic I noticed light showing through some spots at the base of the wood fencing...I would be certain to fill in/close off those areas...if a CDT sees light under the fencing they can certainly be very curious and with about 20 minutes can dig right at that spot and get on out....you seem to have a highway right behind your property....is your back yard completely fenced in so that if you get an escapee it can not walk right onto the highway? I apologize for my crazy OCD....:p

Your Sulcata yard is going to be all inclusive right? the CDT yard is independent of the Sulcata yard right?

Jacob

5 Year Member
California
Nice backyard, i just moved recently i have about 2.5 acres feels good!
Anyways its gonna be a big paradise when its finished cant wait to see :)

macdeezy

5 Year Member
Prunedale, CA
Thanks everyone! The fence is built about 3/4 of an inch above the ground, just incase the odd rainstorm hits us, I can be sure it will not get flooded in there!
And OF COURSE the Sulcatta enclosure is not going to be built with wood! He would absolutely trample through it with the slightest push! His is going to be made of bricks, and it is going to cover most of the yard!

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
The fence is built about 3/4 of an inch above the ground, just incase the odd rainstorm hits us

I totally understand the flooding concern....however, that 3/4 of an inch all the way around can be an invitation for trouble...these guys love to pace, they pace fence lines looking for someplace to find something fun to do...and what better than a little crack of light shining through and to them that means wooo hooo...lets check it out....Perhaps you could sink the fence down to the ground and then in a spot on each side you leave the rise but bury a grate so that water can flow through but not a tortoise....?

Also, if water flooding is a concern with a flash rain (again, I totally understand as I live in the high desert and it is a real concern) what do you have in mind for the block wall for the Sulcata? Perhaps replacing a brick with a grate buried?

Please know that I am not picking on you :p:p because I absolutely love the open space, I am just kinda funny about some things and when one of those things comes up my OCD kicks into overdrive...by the way, you can tell me to knock it off any time and my feelings won't be too damaged....lol ;)

M

Maggie Cummings

I stand behind Angela...not to support her but so I can't get hit! Hahaha, just joking but she is right about the space off the ground. Any desert tort will try to dig out. Why does your Pacific Pond turtle have no water in his pond? You have great space there and we would all love to have it. I also agree with her about escapee's running to the road, what's to stop them from running across the road? You need to make a safer enclosure, I would use cinder blocks. If you used cincer block that same size nobody could escape so you wouldn't have to cope with Angela's OCD

macdeezy

5 Year Member
Prunedale, CA
The Pacific Pond Turtle is only being kept temporarily in a 50 gal tank inside, while we try to find a safe pond for him to be released into! I was told they are becoming more rare, and being overtaken by Red ear sliders taking over their habitats, so I want him to go to a safe pond where he can flourish!
And there is a canal/stream that seperates my yard about 50 yards (give or take 10yrds) from the freeway! The area back there is called our "second backyard" its something we always call it, and only use it to store fire wood! The canal is always dry unless there is MAJOR rain, so if he does get back there I would be able to pick him up!
Plus the whole reason why I got the torts was so my fiance and I can be outside more and actually clean up and enjoy our backyard! We have been out there everyday since we have gotten them! She absolutely loves torts!

I was thinking about the 3/4in gap being a problem, but once the grass grows back in it will fill cover the gaps. But if it does cause a problem I will fix it, and make something more secure!
And no worries Ascott! I want all the help/tips/info I can get from other CDT owners that are here in Cali, since you know the wheather and are more familiar with our state!

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
I would like to have your backyard.

Status
Not open for further replies.