My Baby Red

Reds Dad

Location (City and/or State)
Dallas Texas
About a month ago I received a 4 week old Cherry Head.
I have a half of a flower pot for him to hang out in and coconut husk substrate with a mix of sphagnum to hold a bit of moisture within the flower pot, about 48% and a temp of 70 deg F.
The UVB tube is fluorescent and new. He has a heating rock that's kept at 90 deg F from a ceramic heat fixture mounted above.

Initially he was eating but If I don't pull him out of his shelter to do so he probably wouldn't bother to come out.
Only once did he come out on his own to eat.
I have been feeding him red bell pepper, cucumber, wild greens lettuce and very occasionally a small bit of strawberry.

It seems his appetite has been diminishing.
He's eating less and les when he does eat and today ate nothing at all and basked for a bit then went back to the flower pot.

I soak him every two days in warm water which he usually deficates but yesterday there was some brown tinted liquid that exited and that was it.

I'm worried something might be wrong with him/her and have heard of blockages or viruses that can take these little guys out quick but I just don't know when to panic or over panic!

If anyone has any ideas on what might be up or if this type of behavior on such a young guy is normal, I really would appreciate the help!!
It would be awful if I lost this sweet little creature!

Thank you!!

Attachments

• tempImage4Eaoal.png
    tempImage4Eaoal.png
    4.9 MB · Views: 4
  • tempImageYUxlZT.png
    tempImageYUxlZT.png
    5.8 MB · Views: 4

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Your temps are too low and get rid of the moss. The moss can cause impaction and get tangled around parts inside and out. Lots of torts like to eat it.

Mrs.Jennifer

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Norwich CT
I have a half of a flower pot for him to hang out in and coconut husk substrate with a mix of sphagnum to hold a bit of moisture within the flower pot, about 48% and a temp of 70 deg F.
The UVB tube is fluorescent and new. He has a heating rock that's kept at 90 deg F from a ceramic heat fixture mounted above.

Initially he was eating but If I don't pull him out of his shelter to do so he probably wouldn't bother to come out.
I have been feeding him red bell pepper, cucumber, wild greens lettuce and very occasionally a small bit of strawberry.

He's eating less and les when he does eat and today ate nothing at all and basked for a bit then went back to the flower pot.

I soak him every two days in warm water which he usually deficates but yesterday there was some brown tinted liquid that exited and that was it.

I'm worried something might be wrong with him/her and have heard of blockages or viruses that can take these little guys out quick but I just don't know when to panic or over panic!

If anyone has any ideas on what might be up or if this type of behavior on such a young guy is normal, I really would appreciate the help!!

Thank you!!
I know nothing about redfoots, but I know our red foot guru, @ZEROPILOT , does!

Please listen to our experts here for your little one’s sake.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
You have to think about where they come from evolution-wise, and try to mimic that for him in his enclosure. I've never been to South America, but I have a picture in my mind of a lush, tropical jungle-type area. . . lots of moisture and hot, humid air.

I think once you get that baby out of the desert and back into the jungle he will be a much happier camper.

Linda C

5 Year Member
Warren mi

Thank you!!