My babies have grown so much!

Prairie Mom

awwww! So cool:) Love it! I also love the cone hat for reference! How old is your 15 pounder now? Mine is 16lbs, most of which she gained in the single year we've had her, so I'm always curious how old sulcatas are.

mushmouth26

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Texas
awwww! So cool:) Love it! I also love the cone hat for reference! How old is your 15 pounder now? Mine is 16lbs, most of which she gained in the single year we've had her, so I'm always curious how old sulcatas are.

The bigger one on the left is age is unknown. The lady that gave her to me said she only had him for a couple months and the people she bought it from said they had it for 4 or 5 years. Which is hard to believe at 350 grams. He was very malnourished, parasites, dehydrated and kept dry constantly. He went from about 350 grams to almost 10 lbs in the first year I had him. The one on the right was my original and got as a hatchling. She is about 2.5 years old.

Prairie Mom

The bigger one on the left is age is unknown. The lady that gave her to me said she only had him for a couple months and the people she bought it from said they had it for 4 or 5 years. Which is hard to believe at 350 grams. He was very malnourished, parasites, dehydrated and kept dry constantly. He went from about 350 grams to almost 10 lbs in the first year I had him. The one on the right was my original and got as a hatchling. She is about 2.5 years old.
Great rescue! And beautiful tortoises:) I guess I'm in a similar situation as you. We found ours as a stray. She had a few soft spots in her shell, dog chews, and didn't seem used to the correct diet, but otherwise in surprisingly good shape. Once we got her in the right environment and diet she exploded in growth.

Mind if I share my "before and after" too?

mushmouth26

5 Year Member
Texas
Yep woul
Great rescue! And beautiful tortoises:) I guess I'm in a similar situation as you. We found ours as a stray. She had a few soft spots in her shell, dog chews, and didn't seem used to the correct diet, but otherwise in surprisingly good shape. Once we got her in the right environment and diet she exploded in growth.

Mind if I share my "before and after" too?

Yep would love to see your pics.

Prairie Mom

Yep would love to see your pics.

The first photo was taken after we had her for a short while in Autumn 2014. Here is her presumed dog chew damage if you're curious. She has a bit of different-looking growth too because of it, but it's really reducing in appearance as she grows. I can't help but kind of love the different looking shell growth on your first tortoise:)
dog marks smaller.jpg

Here's my sweetie soaking a few months later around November 2014...
mavis soak young.jpg

Here is a recent photo taken of her soaking in the exact same size Tupperware...
She literally quadrupled in size and is now 16lbs and gaining only a year later.
mavis soak 1 yr later.jpg
Amazing what some love and proper care can do isn't it?
It's been super cool getting to see your tortoises. I'll be sure to look out for them more. What are their names?

mushmouth26

5 Year Member
Texas
Awesome photos and the shell growth looks great! I actually have 4torts . 2 sulcata named Funyun and Sirracha. 1 leopard named Cheeto. 1 red foot named Cilantro. The red foot is my current baby.

Prairie Mom

Awesome photos and the shell growth looks great! I actually have 4torts . 2 sulcata named Funyun and Sirracha. 1 leopard named Cheeto. 1 red foot named Cilantro. The red foot is my current baby.
Wow! You have a little of everything don't you!? Cool. I love the names you've picked out. For some reason, "Cilantro" tickles my funny bone. :D