My awesome new RES setup!

Status
Not open for further replies.

bellyboo

5 Year Member
My super sweet hubby helped me build a new indoor pond today and I just had to share!

We adopted our RES, Holly, from the local animal shelter last winter. She was given to the shelter because the previous owners got her without having any idea how to care for her and the people at the shelter were desperate to give her away. They had her in one of those little zoo med terrariums with maybe a gallon of water and zero basking. Long story short, I found out about her and since I had a 55 gallon tank and prior RES experience, took her in. I was told she was 2-4"...she is a whopping 9.5"! We did the best we could with only 55 gal and made her an above the tank basking ramp, but she still seemed so cramped and the tank was too narrow. But not any more!

Her pond isn't 100% finished...we need to add the UB bulb and we also need to add the canister filter. These will both be done this week. But for now, she is LOVING it! So much room to swim and bask and just be a happy turtle in general. Ignore the unfinished basement walls...we haven't been in our house long and are working on remodeling it. :p She had to go in a room where our dog wouldn't decide to go for a swim. lol!

ETA: In case it's not totally clear, there are 12 inches of plexi surrounding the entire thing. No escaping. ;)

hollynewpond.jpg

ckidd_1999

5 Year Member
That's is awesome!!! Tht turtle is gonna Hv a very happy life!! Very creative

bellyboo

5 Year Member
ckidd_1999 said:
That's is awesome!!! Tht turtle is gonna Hv a very happy life!! Very creative

Thanks! I spent like two days looking at ideas online. lol! I'm so happy we can give her a better home.

sibi

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Florida, USA
Owners of water turtles have to be creative! The home you created for yours is just great!

bellyboo

5 Year Member
lori12386 said:
Looks great!

Thank you! :)

sibi said:
Owners of water turtles have to be creative! The home you created for yours is just great!

Thanks! And I was just telling my hubby that last night...water turtles really bring out your creative streak, especially when they are so big they can't use commercial products. lol!

ckidd_1999 said:
How'd u make it? What is it made if? Size?

The pond part is just that...a plastic pond that we bought at our local home store (you can find them in most garden centers) I'm not sure on the exact size, but I'd guess 60-70 gallons at least. We have brick under the shallow end of the pond to support the weight of the water. The "land" it one big piece of wood that we cut to fit snug on top of the pond. The entire thing (pond and land) has 12" of plexiglass secured all the way around it so she can't get out.

bellyboo

5 Year Member
srod said:
Great job! Holly is going to be very happy now! :)

Thank you! She hasn't quite gotten brave enough to bask, but she is loving all of the swimming room and being able to dive into the water without hitting her head.

bellyboo

5 Year Member
srod said:
She probably basks when no one is around =]

Apparently so. This morning all of her little decorations were knocked into the pond. lol!

terryo

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Staten Island, New York
I can't tell you how much I LOVE seeing things like this. RES are so underrated, and abused, and to see one adopted and given a spectacular home like this, is just wonderful. I also had an indoor pond for years.

bellyboo

5 Year Member
terryo said:
I can't tell you how much I LOVE seeing things like this. RES are so underrated, and abused, and to see one adopted and given a spectacular home like this, is just wonderful. I also had an indoor pond for years.

Thank you! :) It is so sad how many RES you see that need better homes. We have a local "for sale" page here and there are so many aquatic turtles that people buy because they are small and cute. They never bother to look into proper care and then when the turtle gets to be huge they don't want it any more or when they realize how much housing, lights, etc cost then they don't want to deal with it. We're very happy with our pond! I know a few of our friends thought it was really weird that we did so much for a turtle, but we are glad to give her a good life and think the pond is pretty. It's relaxing. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.