My April

Cheryl Hills

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Youngstown, Ohio
I am still trying to figure out what my crazy box turtle, April, is trying to do. She keeps coming back to this spot in her enclosure and digging a hole with her back legs. Then she just stays there for a while. Then, leaves. She diggings holes in other spots too, always with her back end in it. I have not seen any eggs as of yet. Not sure if she is digging test holes or what! Any ideas?image.jpegimage.jpeg image.jpeg

She sure is cute though.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rue

Rue

Canada
She is cute...doing her thing (whatever it may be!)...:)

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
Box turtles do like to back up into overhangs and corners when at rest.

mark1

5 Year Member
ohio
I would think like Colleen says .......they do sometimes dig holes before they finally use one ........ don't know about Youngstown , but they wouldn't be digging any holes here today .....
DSCF1782.jpg

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
I would think like Colleen says .......they do sometimes dig holes before they finally use one ........ don't know about Youngstown , but they wouldn't be digging any holes here today .....
DSCF1782.jpg
You must be in my general area.

mark1

5 Year Member
ohio
You must be in my general area.
I am just west of Cleveland .....I've seen this young turtle wandering in and out of the leaf pile for about 2 weeks , I gathered him up Friday , he was just under the surface of the leaves .......he's in the garage in a bucket of leaves now ,it was 23 this morning .... I didn't want to , but i'm thinking i'll warm him up and get him eating no matter what the weather does .........

Cheryl Hills

5 Year Member
Youngstown, Ohio
I am just west of Cleveland .....I've seen this young turtle wandering in and out of the leaf pile for about 2 weeks , I gathered him up Friday , he was just under the surface of the leaves .......he's in the garage in a bucket of leaves now ,it was 23 this morning .... I didn't want to , but i'm thinking i'll warm him up and get him eating no matter what the weather does .........

What kind of a Turtle or tort is this? Was it one of yours or one that wondered in? Just couriose

mark1

5 Year Member
ohio
an ornate , he'll be 4yrs this summer/fall ....he's only been hibernated 2 yrs .......

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
they are more than likely test holes. Some turtles or tortoises will dig hole after hole after hole after hole until they find or dig the right one. they sometimes put people with OCD to shame

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
I'm 15 minutes east of cleveland.

mark1

5 Year Member
ohio
you probably got it worse than we did ....... i see 70 in the forecast , hopefully that's it ......