Box Turtle Still Over Her Nest 5:30 am

Status
Not open for further replies.

cordell

5 Year Member
I have a female 3 toed who was digging her nest last night around 6 pm. I checked on her at 10 pm and she looked to be just about done with digging, her hole was as deep as her leg. As soon as I woke up I went to check on the nest, I found her still over the nest! She looked dead, I freaked out and made a noise, thankfully she woke up :) I really dont know what to do, or when to do it. She is still over the hole, awake now, but the sun will be up soon. Do I leave her alone? Should I get her and bring her inside for a long soak before I have to leave for work? I wish I was more prepared for this situation, I have had eggs and babies, but never a female who has done this! I have a thread on another forum, not trying to double post everywhere, I am just trying to get a answer before I have to leave :(

I just went back out to the pen, the sun is breaking. I found ALL of the turtles around her!! One was practically in the hole with her, another was right in her face! I brought her inside for a looong soak :( Poor girl, I hope she can pass these eggs. Her nest looked fine, a hole the size of her shell, then a hole inside of the hole that went down close to the length of her back leg.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi Cordell:

This seems a bit early in the season to me for egg laying. Has your weather warmed up enough already?

I think you did the right thing by bringing her inside for a warm soak. Put her under a light and keep her warm and hopefully the egg will pass.

Tccarolina

10 Year Member!
CA
I keep records of my turtles in an excel file. This is from a female eastern box turtle I had in 2009. Here is my note.

"June 30. Not visibly gravid, but began digging at 8:00pm and abandoned hole at 6:45am, laying a single egg on the ground nearby. Dug hole but laid no eggs again on July 2."

She may have eventually laid an undiscovered nest after July 2, I don't know. I sold her the following summer. I had more than one turtle that finally finished packing her nest after laying fairly late into the morning.

I'm not sure what the best thing for you to do is, but soaking today and letting her try again tonight sounds like a good idea.

cordell

5 Year Member
Well when I noticed her digging test holes the other day I palpate her and felt a few eggs, so she is gravid. I put her back into the pen rather than keep her inside, I didnt wanna stress her with a new area. Hopefully tonight she can lay...

cordell

5 Year Member
emysemys said:
Hi Cordell:

This seems a bit early in the season to me for egg laying. Has your weather warmed up enough already?

I think you did the right thing by bringing her inside for a warm soak. Put her under a light and keep her warm and hopefully the egg will pass.

It was 89 today, I can feel 2 maybe 3 eggs. She did not try to lay tonight. I just brought her inside for another soak. I found her in her hiding spot sleeping, lol. I know she has to be tired. I was she would just relax while soaking but she is trying like crazy to get free!

cordell

5 Year Member
Anyone who cares to know, SHE DID IT!!! Last night she dropped what looks to be 3 eggs. I didnt dig down to far, dont want to disrupt nature any more than I already have. Anyway, in a couple months I expect to find a few babies hanging around the nest. I must say this choice is better than where she attempted to lay the other night.

froghaven5

5 Year Member
New Jersey
cordell said:
Anyone who cares to know, SHE DID IT!!! Last night she dropped what looks to be 3 eggs. I didnt dig down to far, dont want to disrupt nature any more than I already have. Anyway, in a couple months I expect to find a few babies hanging around the nest. I must say this choice is better than where she attempted to lay the other night.

Thats exciting! Can't wait to hear the outcome. :tort:

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
Just to add, I have had our aldabras dig, and fall asleep. The next day, or so, they will dig and then lay eggs. Not uncommon.

Glad it worked out!

Status
Not open for further replies.