Not open for further replies.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
I got Bo and So in 2000. They were brand new hatchlings. They came from a pet store in New York, but a U.S. Fish and Wildlife acquaintance there figured that they were probably originally from Czechoslovakia.

Bo - 2000
male - 148.8lbs
10-15-11Bo.jpg

10-15-11So-2.jpg

So - 2000
male - 187lbs
10-15-11So.jpg

10-15-11Bo-2.jpg

(I just realized that I have the head shots reversed. Bo's head shot is under So's and vice-versa)

M

Maggie Cummings

Too bad you didn't use that last head shot for the calendar, it's beautiful. It really speaks...

Torty Mom

5 Year Member
Bakersfield, California
I am loving all your pictures Yvonne! I agree with Maggie that last pictures is awesome! New screen saver picture :p

Momof4

10 Year Member!
San Diego
Your place looks awesome!! I would love to have a picnic lunch with all your torts. You are a saint!

pdrobber

10 Year Member!
stunning. I envy that kid that got to help out!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
pdrobber said:
stunning. I envy that kid that got to help out!

He was pretty pleased to be able to help. He has contacted me a couple times since and asked if I had any more that I need help with.

cemmons12

5 Year Member
Greenfield, In.
Very happy and healthy looking! I didn't know you had Aldabrans Yvonne.. I learn something new all the time, if I could only remember these things I learn... :(

M

Maggie Cummings

I can't get over how old their faces look. Old and wise. They look like they know everything. But I know they are just big rocks...It's really a kick for me to watch them grow. Almost 200 pounds! Can you just imagine???

DesertGrandma

10 Year Member!
Arizona
I agree that that second head shot is so beautiful. The eyes say it all. Relaxed...happy...wise..

dds7155

5 Year Member
Hi, can you tell me what 's a Aldabrans tortoise? i googled it and couldnt find any, thanks ,,

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Most people refer to it as an Aldabra tortoise. But I prefer to call it an Aldabran, just like you would call a person from California a Californian. They come from the Seychelle Islands in the Indian Ocean and get as big as the Galapagos tortoises get. They have many scientific names, as the powers that be can't come up with one they all like, so I'm going with Dipsochelys dussumieri.

cherylim

5 Year Member
Leyland, UK
Beautiful pictures! Bo's face looks a little strange to me - is that the beak or is that the natural shape? I can't work out what it is I'm picking up on, and obviously no expert in Aldabrans, but interested to know what I'm noticing (unless I'm just going crazy!) :p

Edit: I think I've worked it out. Went away, came back, looked again and my eyes were drawn to the wrinkles at the edge of Bo's mouth - now I'm picturing:

627px-Grandpa_%26_Grandma_Longneck.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.