My 2 baby sulcata's

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Very cute.
Do you know though that they can not be housed together when they get a bit older as one will bully the other to illness or death, if the bullying hasn't started already. They should be kept in a closed chamber with high humidity, 80% and temps no lower then 80.
Also the Russian should not be allowed, nor should the sulcatas to roam the floors of your home. Too cold and too dangerous.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Your babies are not spur thighed tortoises. They are African spurred tortoises, or more commonly, sulcatas. A "spur thigh" tortoise is a greek tortoise, quite a bit different from yours. This is a spur thigh tortoise:

greek-tortoise2.jpg

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Your babies are not spur thighed tortoises. They are African spurred tortoises, or more commonly, sulcatas. A "spur thigh" tortoise is a greek tortoise, quite a bit different from yours. This is a spur thigh tortoise:

greek-tortoise2.jpg

Do you know if you look up spur thigh the Russian will be mentioned and showed? I thought the Russians were the spur thigh.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Greeks have a large spur on each back leg, hence 'spur thigh'.

Totally_Tortoise

5 Year Member
Madera California

greek-tortoise2.jpg
I accidentally threw thigh in there oops.

Katie1231

Minnesota

greek-tortoise2.jpg

i have a greek tortoise myself and a greek tortoise is also known as a spur thigh tortoise. you are 100% correct.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California

Taylor T.

5 Year Member
New England
How large are your enclosures? Do you regularly let your Russian roam around on the floor like in your photo?

Totally_Tortoise

5 Year Member
Madera California
How large are your enclosures? Do you regularly let your Russian roam around on the floor like in your photo?

No i did that just for the photo. The sulcatas have a 2 by 3 1/2 and the russian has a 3 1/2 by 7, the sulcata enclosure is temporary im going to build larger ones and separate the sulcatas

turtlelady917

5 Year Member
denver
i have a greek tortoise myself and a greek tortoise is also known as a spur thigh tortoise. you are 100% correct.
I was going to ask this question myself. I would get super confused when someone said they had a spur thigh and I thought it meant sulcata but didn't look like a sulcata. Thanks for the clarification