Baby sulcata tortoise

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jbandy

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
California
Hello we have 2 baby African spur Tortoise in our home. 1 is a year old almost and the other one is 1 week. They told me one is a girl and the other is a boy. Does anyone agree?ImageUploadedByTortoiseForum1364272102.377810.jpgImageUploadedByTortoiseForum1364272130.246033.jpg

ImageUploadedByTortoiseForum1364272194.821704.jpg

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTortoiseForum1364272075.657364.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTortoiseForum1364272075.657364.jpg
    165.2 KB · Views: 39
Last edited by a moderator:

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
way too soon to tell...
If you are housing them together, watch for the larger one bullying the smaller one.. They dont always get along, and it can be a bad thing.. Make sure they both eat well.

one YEAR and one WEEK? are you sure? maybe one week and one Month?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello and welcome.

Much too soon to tell sexes, but they both look male so far.

Looks like your baby might be off to a rough start. That umbilical scar does not look good. It seems your baby did not spend time in a brooder box and was kept pretty dry. I'd soak daily for the next few months.

There is a whole bunch of sulcata info in my signature. Hope it helps.

Jbandy

5 Year Member
California
Oh no! Ok I will. When we took it home it was biting its arm then bit my finger. I thought it was kinda weird. Our other tortoise has never done that. I put it in water and it sat there with his mouth open for at least 5 minutes. Then ate a hibiscus leaf really fast. I didn't realize that belly button was a bad sign.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome:) Sounds like your baby was very dehydrated, if it drank that much water. Follow Toms great threads, at the bottom of both his post and mine.

Jbandy

5 Year Member
California
The little one we were told was 4 days old by the guy who sold it to us. We got it Thursday. The bigger one we got in September. That store told us it was the last one they had in that batch and they got them in July. So maybe a little less then a year? Is he small?ImageUploadedByTortoiseForum1364275136.127142.jpgImageUploadedByTortoiseForum1364275151.446692.jpg

Ok I'm new here. How do I follow threads? Thank you guys😀

Last edited by a moderator:

EllieN

5 Year Member
SF Bay Area

Ok I'm new here. How do I follow threads? Thank you guys😀
[/quote]

You should be able to just click on them...

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
Top right, there is a box with an arrow coming out of it. Push that, and one of the options is, “subscribe to thread". Select this, and every time someone posts to that thread you will be notified if your notifications are set up like that.

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
Ideally your settings are set to let you know when someone posts in a thread you're interested in.

Jbandy said:

I believe, in this reference, “Follow Toms Treads" meant to do as Tom recommends in his threads at the bottom of his posts. I would have to agree with this advise. My Little Ricky, who has been raised using these same practices is growing healthy, happy and smooth. What more could anyone want, agree?

lkwagner

5 Year Member
But yes your 1 year old is very small, they do grow at very different rates though. Just for comparison my 2 year old is 7.5 inches and over 3 pounds. Can you give us some info on how you care for them? Temps, housing, substrate, diet, humidity ect. The more info the better!

Status
Not open for further replies.