My 1st tortoise

Status
Not open for further replies.

jbfelix82

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Riverside, CA
I bought myself a cherry head redfoot from petco and it doesn't seem to be eating or pooping. I've had it for 2 days and already hate the reptile tank. I feel like I'm slowly killing it by keeping it behind glass so I'm going to build a tortoise enclosure of 1/2" plywood and invest in proper lighting because I doubt the 50w day bulb is doing any good. I have a playpen and have been letting it bask in the sunlight for a combined total of like 2 hours a day so don't know if the UVB light is necessary. I do need some suggestions on what kind of light I should use to get the property heat and humidity. Do I use a heating mat too?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi JB, and welcome to the Forum!

It takes a couple days for new tortoises to acclimate, but in the mean time, read all about redfooted tortoises here in the Tortoise Library and make any adjustments and tweaks required.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome:) if you live where it is warm outside right now, build an outdoor pen and let her live outside. You could even just bring her in at night. A couple hours of unfiltered (not through glass, plastic or screen)sunlight is enough to not need a UVB light. Wouldn't mind a pic or two:D

Michael in MO

5 Year Member
jbfelix82 said:
I bought myself a cherry head redfoot from petco and it doesn't seem to be eating or pooping. I've had it for 2 days and already hate the reptile tank. I feel like I'm slowly killing it by keeping it behind glass so I'm going to build a tortoise enclosure of 1/2" plywood and invest in proper lighting because I doubt the 50w day bulb is doing any good. I have a playpen and have been letting it bask in the sunlight for a combined total of like 2 hours a day so don't know if the UVB light is necessary. I do need some suggestions on what kind of light I should use to get the property heat and humidity. Do I use a heating mat too?

too cold outside right now, I wouldn't put the tort outside until at least next tuesday when it's forcast to be a warm day..

too cold outside right now, I wouldn't put the tort outside until at least next tuesday when it's forcast to be a warm day..
[/quote]

the only exception I'd make to this is if the tortoise is actually warmed up enough inside your house that he feels warm to the touch (or at least not cold) then it may be benificial to take him out between 11 and 1 for about 30 minutes of sunlight... please read up on redfoots more and post pictures of your enclosure (in the meantime) if you can

immayo

5 Year Member
Mesa, AZ
If you are housing the tortoise inside I would recommend a light that puts out the proper lighting (UVB MVB). There may be days you don't bring your little one outside and I believe it is better to be safe than sorry since torts need these lights to help maintain their metabolism. It will also take a little while for your new tort to get used to it's new home but make sure everything is set up correctly. I would assume that since you got the tortoise at Petco it is over a year old, about how long is the tortoise? You may need to build a larger enclosure depending on the size of him/her. Just make sure your temps are in the 80s and that the tanks humidity level is also around the 80% range. With the proper temps, humidity, lighting and diet your tort should be a happy one in no time if it is healthy.

mainey34

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
I agree with immayo..putting your redfoot outside now to live would be disastrous. In my opinion. Dont forget they do need time to adjust to their new environment...keep the humidity 80-90 I would even suggest a humid hide...look up tortoiselibrary.com there is some very good info there...

jbfelix82

5 Year Member
Riverside, CA
Thanks for the advice everyone. I built a wooden enclosure, added plant life and a water dish the he can climb into. I bought a 250w heat lamp bulb from Lowe's that I use in short periods because I want to keep the temp comfortable but the humidity is still a problem. I have wood bark mixed a coconut substrate that I mist very often but can never get the humidity up. He still hasn't eaten or gone poop. I figure because the environment isn't suitable. I live in Southern California where the temp has been pretty warm during the day and only let him roam the yard in short periods. Could anyone suggest a better substrate? Also, is the heat lamp bulb a mistake?

Momof4

10 Year Member!
San Diego
Can you post a picture of your enclosure? You can cover 3/4 or more of the enclosure with foil or plexi glass to help keep the humidity up. It will take a few tweaks to get everything right. It sounds like you off to a good start.
I don't have an answer for your bulb but I guess if the temps are to high you can raise it up. Make sure you look through the indoor enclosure section for some great ideas. I hung my dome fixture from the ceiling so I can raise and lower when needed. Do you have a temp gun for taking temps? Soon it will be time to build him an outdoor enclosure for the warmer days. Redfoots want to be warm and humid so watch out for the cool temps outside. It was sunny here but the air was chilly and breezy so my guys stayed inside.

Michael in MO

5 Year Member
jbfelix82 said:
let him roam the yard in short periods.

Hello, just food for thought... is the area your letting your tortoise roam COMPELETELY free of herbicides and pesticides? and if you have a dog do you pick up it's droppings? A redfoot will get into trouble fast if it eats the scat of an animal that's on meds or has been treated with a pesticide (grub in yard freshly doused with grub control) My yard is full of tasty weeds b/c I don't treat it..

jbfelix82

5 Year Member
Riverside, CA
I covered a portion of the to p with some plexi glass and got a better humidity gauge as well as a different type of thermometer device. I noticed the early signs of shell rot so I changed out the substrate to a mixture of cypress chips and forest moss as well as thoroughly cleaned everything else. I'm treating the symptoms according to the forums advice. It was my mistake to keep misting the enclosure to raise humidity but left the substrate really damp.

Status
Not open for further replies.