My 1 year old horsefield - loose stools

LauraC

Hi,

I have had my Horsefield, Tallulah for just over a month now. She is approx. 1 yr old.

She usually eats a combo of dandelion, curly kale, clover, rose petals, watercress, cress etc (things from the approved lists online), and when I don't buy from the supermarket I pick outside and rinse before she eats them etc.

She gets bathed every other day and 99% of the time passes urates at the same time. She also has a water source in her enclosure.

When I bathed her this morning, I noticed she had a very small amount of loose stool, which obviously isn't normal. I wonder if this could be due to the fact that she had some celery on Sunday (which she doesn't normally have) and rather than dandelion (which is the bulk of her diet) she had kale on this occasion. I have read up on parasites etc, and I know how quickly this can progress to a major problem for torts, but wondered if only one episode of loose stool was enough to warrant a trip to the vets? Or can I give it a few days and see how she is? She is eating and drinking fine and is fine within herself.

Is it worth prophylactically deworming her? And if so where can I get some from?

Sorry for the novel! Thanks so much for any advice!

Laura and Tallulah!

Jodie

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Spokane Valley WA
Agree with the above. Small diet changes will cause temporary changes. As long as normal consistency resumes, I would not worry.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Diet sounds good. Loose stools can be parasite related. Ever get a fecal done?

LauraC

Thanks for the advice! Not had one done yet no. Is this worth doing? Any idea on approx cost? :)

She has just wolfed down a dandelion - you'd think she's never been fed!

Thanks

LauraC

Also, how many days should I give it before I should be concerned? She's so small her normal poos are really hard to spot anyway you see

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
She'll pass everything an a day or two. Checking poo and weight are the easiest indicators for health in a baby. IMO
I wouldn't suspect parasites if all was well before you offered a new food item.

LauraC

She'll pass everything an a day or two. Checking poo and weight are the easiest indicators for health in a baby. IMO
Ah thanks! I feel a bit better about it now! I've always been an equine person so I'm so nervous with Tallulah as I am trying to learn but still do it right!

Thanks so much

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Are we talking an adult, or baby?
Fecal runs around thirty dollars. If it is a baby then probably not parasite related. You could add a little hay, or grass. Give it a few days.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
It's good you worry, much better than the alternative- not caring.
I think as others, that this is just a change in diet and everything should be normal in a few days.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Don't worry. Ad a very warm welcome to the forum!