MVB

Status
Not open for further replies.

Napalmseth

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Coral Springs, FL.
Hello all, again. I know, lots of questions from the newbie. Just want to do what's right. Does the MVB take the place of a basking light as well as the coil bulb? And I'm seeing lots of different sizes as well. What wattage should I be using for my Pancakes? How about the Sulcata baby? Thanks ahead of time for the reply. I am learning so much from all of you. It's so helpful for my little shell babies.

jeffbens0n

5 Year Member
Glenmoore, PA
Yes a mercury vapor bulb can take the place of all other bulbs. It provides heat, light, UVA and UVB. As far as the wattage, that depends on your needs, I always use the 100 watt but if you are looking to heat a larger area you might want something like 160 watts. If you are looking to heat a larger area you could also use a ceramic heat emitter along with your MVB to produce heat in more area then just the bulb will provide.

Napalmseth

5 Year Member
Coral Springs, FL.
Thank you!!! That's what I thought, just wasn't sure.

Does the 100w MVB throw off the same or similar heat to the 100w basking bulb, or does it throw off more?

Is there a brand that seems better than another? I see many different 100w bulbs all different prices.

jeffbens0n

5 Year Member
Glenmoore, PA
As far as how much heat it throws off, I would imagine it would be the same...? Maybe someone else can answer that better.

For brands, there are a lot of MVB's out there, and not all are proven to work. I like the zoomed powersun. Others like the Reptileuv.com "megaray". Google the powersun and you can usually find them on amazon or elsewhere for $40-45 shipped.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Someone posted the other day that Petsmart is having a sale on the Zoo Med Powersun MVB. $39.95

Napalmseth

5 Year Member
Coral Springs, FL.
I shall stop by on my way home from work tonight. Thanks for the heads up. Probably because of the incoming ban on filament bulbs...

I'm wondering how this will effect the herp community.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
This from Wikipedia:

Although the United States is not phasing out incandescent light bulbs, it has set minimum efficiency standards for lighting which preclude most legacy incandescent designs; these minimum standards phase in between 2012 and 2014.[8]

California will phase out the use of incandescent bulbs by 2018 as part of bill by California State Assembly member Jared Huffman (D-Santa Rosa) that was signed by Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger on October 12, 2007. The bill aims to establish a minimum standard of twenty-five lumens per watt by 2013 and sixty lumens per watt by 2018.[24][25]

Connecticut legislation was proposed by state Representative Mary M. Mushinsky (D-Wallingford).[26][27]

New Jersey Assemblyman Larry Chatzidakis introduced a bill on February 8, 2007 that calls for the state to eliminate incandescent bulbs in government buildings over the next three years. Chatzidakis said, "The light bulb was invented a long time ago and a lot of things have changed since then. I obviously respect the memory of Thomas Edison, but what we're looking at here is using less energy."[28]

Federal legislation

In December 2007, many of these state efforts became moot when the federal government enacted the Energy Independence and Security Act of 2007, which requires all general-purpose light bulbs that produce 310–2600 lumens of light[8] be 30% more energy efficient (similar to current halogen lamps) than current incandescent bulbs by 2012 to 2014. The efficiency standards will start with 100-watt bulbs in January 2012 and end with 40-watt bulbs in January 2014.

Light bulbs outside of this range are exempt from the restrictions (historically, less than 40 Watts or more than 150 Watts). Also exempt are several classes of specialty lights, including appliance lamps, rough service bulbs, 3-way, colored lamps, and plant lights.

By 2020, a second tier of restrictions would become effective, which requires all general-purpose bulbs to produce at least 45 lumens per watt (similar to current CFLs). Exemptions from the Act include reflector flood, 3-way, candelabra, colored, and other specialty bulbs.[2

So, I think our reptile bulbs MIGHT be exempt. But I'm going to have to start hoarding black light bulbs. They're already hard to find. :p

DocNezzy

5 Year Member
emysemys said:
Someone posted the other day that Petsmart is having a sale on the Zoo Med Powersun MVB. $39.95

I believe you have to have the Petsmart card though. Just so your not surprised when you stop. It's free though. I THINK!

Napalmseth

5 Year Member
Coral Springs, FL.
That's what I'm thinking. Time to start hoarding bulbs...

I have the petco one, but I'll fill out the form for the petsmart one when I get there. It just one of those dicount card so they can track purchases for individual cutomers.

Balboa

5 Year Member
PNW
I need to stock up on incandescents as well. I have mixed feelings on CFLs. If the darn things were made better they'd be alright, but I've found many don't last. They fill up our landfills with mercury, not such a good thing. For providing good cheap light linear fluorescents are the way to go.

Napalmseth

5 Year Member
Coral Springs, FL.
The MVB's have much more mercury than the CFL's. But the answer to that is easy. Bring them to Lowes or Home Depot for recycling(If you live near one). Other than that, most hardware stores have the capability to recycle them for you.

Balboa

5 Year Member
PNW
Interesting. Haven't even heard of this before now (and I'm an electrician). Since they don't have big banners up saying "return your dead CFLs here" I doubt they take many in.

Napalmseth

5 Year Member
Coral Springs, FL.
I just recently found this out as well. I was throwing them out myself. But it is true. I mentioned it to my folks and they were shocked I didn't even know because I'm pretty strict about recycling my stuff whenever possible.

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
Balboa said:
Interesting. Haven't even heard of this before now (and I'm an electrician). Since they don't have big banners up saying "return your dead CFLs here" I doubt they take many in.

Yes, that is interesting. I never knew that.

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
We have been saving them and taking them to our dump, where they recycle. But since I am at Home Depot every 5 minutes, I will check out their program around here too. Good info.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Well, I went to Petsmart today and yes, they DO have the Powersun MVBs on sale for $39.95 with your Pet Perks card. I bought two. And while I was out and about, I went to Wal-Mart, where I've always bought my blacklight bulbs in the past for $3. They don't sell them anymore. I'll have to go online if I plan on hoarding. They're so much cheaper to run than the CHEs, plus $3 per bulb over $25 for the CHE.

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
Anyone know of the lifespan of a black light vs. CHE? Thats something I haven't been able to find, although even if a black light lasted a lot less time, it would still be a better deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.