MVB problems!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Abberzoo

5 Year Member
I ordered an MVB from amazon.com and within a week, it blew. So I returned it and ordered a replacement, which also blew within a week. It is on a timer. Is it not suppose to be cycled on and off? Has anyone else had this problem? BTW, it is a ZooMed!

Cfr200

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Springfield, Mo
I run all mine off timers and they work fine. I would check your fixture if it is bad you will keep blowing them or if it allows them to get too hot the bulbs have a thermal cutoff. This cutoff will turn the lamp off until it cools down if this keeps happening you will blow the bulb.

StudentoftheReptile

5 Year Member
Alabama
These may be dumb questions, but just confirming:

Is the fixture rated for the wattage of the bulb?
Is the fixture secure (not hanging)?
Is the fixture at an angle or directed straight down?

I've yet to have a problem with my Powersun, whereas I've had issues with the ExoTerra solar-glo MVBs. One thing to know, in case you didn't already: if the bulb goes off for any reason, it has an automatic 15-min delay before it will come on.

Abberzoo

5 Year Member
Not sure how to tell if it is getting too hot. The fixture is the standard ceramic fixture purchased from Petco. It is no hanging. It is sitting on a screen lid. The fixture is fairly new, so it should be in proper working order.

cherylim

5 Year Member
Leyland, UK
Abberzoo said:
Not sure how to tell if it is getting too hot. The fixture is the standard ceramic fixture purchased from Petco. It is no hanging. It is sitting on a screen lid. The fixture is fairly new, so it should be in proper working order.

Sitting on the screen lid? So it's got something right underneath it?

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
Abberzoo said:

The dome fixtures from the pet stores are usually on the small side, so heat might be building up and triggering the auto-off. I would switch to a brooder light, usually available @ Walmart, Home Depot, Lowe's, etc. Also, screen can block out much of the UVB.

Abberzoo

5 Year Member
The fixtures don't have clamps, so I have to set them on the screen lid. I will go purchase one of the brooder lights from Home Depot... Are those the silver ones?

SulcataSquirt

5 Year Member
Missouri
i bet your problem is the fixture, is the fixture you got from the pet store only rated for a 100 watts? if soo you need one rated for 150 watts for the 100 watt mvb, that is just my experience. I had a problem with running a 150 watt CHE in a 150 watt fixture, so i up graded to the brooder fixture from walmart, rated for 300 watts and much better quality.

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
Yes, the brooder lights are the silver ones (plain aluminum dome). They're usually near the extension cords in Home Depot.

Also, while on the subject of the different ratings of fixtures; the ceramic sockets are typically rated for 660 watts regardless of what the package says, its the different 'domes' that determine the rating on the product packaging. So if you have some that aren't working out for you or overheating, you could try changing out the dome. Or change it out for a wire cage if it is meant for use with a CHE.

Kvoigt

5 Year Member
South Dakota
Abberzoo said:
I ordered an MVB from amazon.com and within a week, it blew. So I returned it and ordered a replacement, which also blew within a week. It is on a timer. Is it not suppose to be cycled on and off? Has anyone else had this problem? BTW, it is a ZooMed!

are you sure it blew..they have a thing in em that shuts em off if they r to hot or moved to much wait 15 min n plug it back in..

Status
Not open for further replies.