Mushrooms growing in substrate

Location (City and/or State)
Fort Drum
I have 2 mushrooms growing inside my baby leopard tortoises enclosure. ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1429314670.070228.jpg

Is this bad that my substrate is growing mushrooms?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I actually have some growing in my one leopards shed area. Because my leopard is on a shed, with wood insulated flooring, the mushrooms are also coming from the coconut coir substrate, or if it's possible, growing out from the wood floor itself. I do not leave them there as I don't think they are true mushrooms that are safe to eat.

Fort Drum
It's been removed. When the weather gets warmer I will be changing out all the substrate and placing "Frankie" outside for the summer during the days maybe nights.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
The key rule with mushrooms is 'If in doubt, throw it out.' So glad that you have.
Remember that what you see is only the fruiting body and the main growth of the organism may be under the surface, possibly spreading over a very large area, so be careful.

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
The key rule with mushrooms is 'If in doubt, throw it out.' So glad that you have.
Remember that what you see is only the fruiting body and the main growth of the organism may be under the surface, possibly spreading over a very large area, so be careful.
And try to get ( cut them down) before they pop and spread the spores . Cause they spread by spores (spores are like seeds )

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Mushrooms and toadstools grow from decaying matter. Try to dig out whatever is decaying in that spot. Might be old food or some poop.