Multiples

Status
Not open for further replies.

South FL Katie

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Coral Springs, FL
I've noticed that most of the leopard tortoise owners on the site have multiples. Do leopards do better in pairs or multiples?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
That's just because we all love them so much.

I've done it both ways in the past and never had any problems either way. There is the potential of bullying, both mentally or physically, but most Leopards aren't very aggressive that way, especially when they are little.

...I think somebody else has the bug now...

South FL Katie

5 Year Member
Coral Springs, FL
I personally do prefer animals in multiples but I read that 2 male tortoises would probably fight and then I noticed that most people here have a few leopards together so then I started wondering...and looking for excuses for another :p

I really do just want what's best for Cody. I don't know that I want to risk fighting by getting another but I don't want him to be lonely either. If the odds of fighting are very small then I'd love to have another!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Since they are solitary animals, I don't think they get "lonely", but most of them do TOLERATE company. Just go ahead and get another one. You want to... we want you to...

Worse case scenario, you'd have to build a separate enclosure for each one and keep them separately.

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Each tortoise has its own personality. My male leopards are highly aggressive towards each other, flipping each other over and ramming each other. But, it seems from the experience of others multiple males have been kept together without any major issues. My situation may be different as I only have one adult female for them to contend for, so maybe that makes them more aggressive.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
ihaveaquestion3 said:
Each tortoise has its own personality. My male leopards are highly aggressive towards each other, flipping each other over and ramming each other. But, it seems from the experience of others multiple males have been kept together without any major issues. My situation may be different as I only have one adult female for them to contend for, so maybe that makes them more aggressive.

I have this same problem with my sulcatas. Two males, one female. Pretty much worse case scenario. I've had to separate my males.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I only have two females now, but at one time I had 4 females and two males in the same habitat. The males never interacted with each other. I never saw any aggression between them, and they both bred all the females at one time or another.

I think it all depends upon the tortoises' temperments, the size of the pen and if there are enough females, hiding places and food to go around.

terracolson

5 Year Member
Sacramento
I have 3 under 7 months old.

2 from the same clutch and one from a different breeder.

I was blessed to get 2 for free and I bought the third for 50 plus a 25 lbs bag of mazuri. so a toal of 75 dollars

since they are with in a couple months of each other, i havent had a issue. They herd infact.

I provide 3 of everything and they all share one.

tempiesadventure011.jpg

South FL Katie

5 Year Member
Coral Springs, FL
Thanks everyone! So there's not really an answer as to what is best for leopard tortoises, it's more of what the owner prefers?

ChiKat

10 Year Member!
FL
haha ohh Kat, you can never just have ONE animal, can you?
You should post pics of all of your babies in the animal section!!

and btw, Cody definitely needs a friend
;)

South FL Katie

5 Year Member
Coral Springs, FL
I truely do think pets do better with some of their own kind! We'll see....Trish has some available leopards but I want to think it through over the weekend.

ChiKat

10 Year Member!
FL
I agree with you, I was just teasing :)
I wish I knew if Nelson was a boy or girl so that I could get another too. Although I am starting to think he may be a girl...I need to post plastron pics for Danny the expert!

Status
Not open for further replies.