Multiple tortoise households

Srmcclure

Location (City and/or State)
Oklahoma city
I have 2 Hermanns (Eastern and Western) and a leopard, but I got ones that are similar in care. I don't think I could handle different diets. If I did re-home one it would be my Western Hermanns.
Yea, it's a pain to do 2 different diets and it got expensive... now all my "enclosure" animals eat the same stuff and it's so much easier. I just get one bowl, chop it all up, feed most to ChiChi and the rest to my snails lol

Ink

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Virginia
These are my boys. They are all housed separately.

Attachments

• MVIMG_20200606_144735.jpg
    MVIMG_20200606_144735.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 13
  • PXL_20210718_170141040.MP.jpg
    PXL_20210718_170141040.MP.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 13

Beasty_Artemis

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Oregon Coast
I have 3 redfoot tortoises. One is Artemis
( the adult who is around 8" long) and 2 are my baby redfoots Vladimir and Grizelda! I only got the babies this last year. But I definitely have my hands full will 3 instead of just my original ONE! Oh yeah, they are all housed separately. But I also stay at home with my torts all day, so that can definitely be helpfull.

cdr

Delaware
How much more work is it to have more than one tortoise? I have one Russian tortoise and would love to have a Burmese star. I anticipate having to keep them in separate enclosures, indoors and outdoors. What am I not thinking of?
Hi there!
I have a male Russian, wild caught that I purchased from a pet store. I then added a Burmese Star hatchling to our family, we think she is a female, but she is only 3 years old.
Both are very different species. The Russian is housed in an open table. The Burmese is housed in a closed chamber. I purchased the chamber from Mark, another forum member who has a lot of experience with Burmese Stars. I do not find managing their needs difficult at all, you just have to follow the care sheets provided on the forum and ask any questions.
I have found everyone here to be very helpful.
Good luck and enjoy their companionship!
Chris

TaylorTortoise

Abington
I have 1 russian tortoise, it took awhile for me to figure out what tort to get that would be ideal for my living space needs and theirs. Russians need of course a lot of space, I thought getting a bermese star would be cool until I realized the challenge to keep the humidity levels up with a closed chamber can be hard for me. I prefer greek tortoises. So I went with something similar to my russian. I now have a western hermann's and I am noticing some of the same characteristics in my baby with my russian! They both go to bed around the same time, wake up around the same time, goof around occasionally and just have awesome personalities.

do your research before you decide. I also found a great breeder where I got my western hermann's from.