Multiple Sulcatas

Status
Not open for further replies.

michellecahal

5 Year Member
Since we haven't found our Sulcata soul-mate yet ;), I was wondering if it would be better to find two as babies to grow up together. We have plenty of room on our 8 acres in East Texas. Do they get lonely if they're the only tortoise? I read that they will grow up together fine as long as they're very young or actually young and from the same hatch.

Thanks for your info!

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
CA
They tend to do well, until puberty hits, then all hell breaks loose. One will do fine all by itself.
Welcome to the forum, I hope you enjoy your visits here.

michellecahal

5 Year Member
Thanks for the advice. I will just stick to one.

And I didn't realize I posted this in the Introductions posts! Sorry!

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
they might get a long for a while and they might even last for years with not much issue.. but they also might not..
They prefer to be alone..
Or yes, there are places that have dozens living together. and it appears to work.. I just wonder if its just overwhelming for them and stressfull and they just adjust or what? is it really working? ??
I have 4. in two pens.. they have issues.. fingers crossed for now.. One pen is 100x60.. they they dont see each other much.. but those two grew up together.. not here, but elsewhere. both males. No females around, so that might make a difference as well.

Zamric

10 Year Member!
The Crystal Unicorn
Cathie raised WalkingRock and another from very young age.... Rocky had to be re-homed when puberty set in.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Even if you don't see outright hostility when they are babies, it is still not a good idea to keep sulcatas in pairs. Almost always, one thrives while the other just seems to get by and not be as active or grow as much. In the wild, the subordinate would leave the area. In captivity they are trapped and the long term chronic stress takes its toll. They usually do okay in groups of three or more. I do this regularly. But I think they do best when housed all by themselves. If you want more than one, you can always keep them in separate enclosures too.

There is all sorts of sulcata info in my signature.

Status
Not open for further replies.