Multiple Baby Tortoise

Adamjsp

Location (City and/or State)
Dawlish
Hey,

I have currently got an 8 week old, male, Horsefield Tortoise. Thanks to this forum he is doing great and I have his enclosure perfect for him.

However, I know someone who is finding it hard with a girl Tortoise of the same age and from the same litter.

I would like some information on whether it would be wise to take this one on as well.
Do they live together well?
Will the male cause her harm?
Will he defend his space as we have had him for a month th now?
Eventually, will I have to split them up?

Any advice would be great.
Thanks

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
Hey,

I have currently got an 8 week old, male, Horsefield Tortoise. Thanks to this forum he is doing great and I have his enclosure perfect for him.

However, I know someone who is finding it hard with a girl Tortoise of the same age and from the same litter.

I would like some information on whether it would be wise to take this one on as well.

Thanks
You can't sex Russian Tortoises until 3-5 years. So there's no way to know what sex either of them are right now. You shouldn't keep tortoises in pairs either so if you take the new one plan on housing them separately.

Adamjsp

Dawlish
You can't sex Russian Tortoises until 3-5 years. So there's no way to know what sex either of them are right now. You shouldn't keep tortoises in pairs either so if you take the new one plan on housing them separately.
You see I thought this was the case but I was assured they were this sex. However, I believe what I read on this forum because it has been so helpful.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
You see I thought this was the case but I was assured they were this sex. However, I believe what I read on this forum because it has been so helpful.
Unless they paid lots of money to have them surgically sexed, there is no way of knowing their sex that young. Russians don't sell for enough money to pay that kind of medical bill.
If you can't set up a proper enclosure for each tortoise as an adult, they need minimum of a 4x8 foot each, then stick with the one and send the owner of the other one to this forum to get the correct info and help they need.

Adamjsp

Dawlish
Unless they paid lots of money to have them surgically sexed, there is no way of knowing their sex that young. Russians don't sell for enough money to pay that kind of medical bill.
If you can't set up a proper enclosure for each tortoise as an adult, they need minimum of a 4x8 foot each, then stick with the one and send the owner of the other one to this forum to get the correct info and help they need.
If I were to take it temporarily while they are so young and small, they will be fine for a few months?

I'm more worried about them not being able to take care of it.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
If I were to take it temporarily while they are so young and small, they will be fine for a few months?

I'm more worried about them not being able to take care of it.
No, likely not together. Russians are one of the most notorious for fighting and bullying. Seperate enclosure only, specially because they have already been separated.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hey,

Thanks
One more voice agreeing with Todd and Barb. Never keep them in pairs, and there is no way to know the sexes at this age/size. If you want this one, which I sure would, get a second enclosure.

DoubleD1996!

Memphis
I think you can sex Russians at 18 months; not entirely sure.

biochemnerd808

10 Year Member!
Central Arkansas (we moved!)
Reiterating: nope, don't keep them in pairs. One will bully the other, and one will thrive more. Getting separate enclosured/setups would work, but keep their meeds for space as adults in mind.

Russian tortoises can be temp-sexed during incubation. So if the temperature the eggs were incubated at is known, you can make an educated guess. However, this is not 100% certain - there can be outliers!
I have had male Russian tortoises flash their boy parts before they were a year old, but visually, they all look female until they don't. Around 450g or 4.5" SCL you can be fairly certain.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
To give you a little more info on temperature sexing, the temperature in the incubator is set higher to have the babies be female, and lower to get males. There may be a happy medium between the high and low where you will hatch both males and females, but chances are good both of these hatchlings are the same sex.