Multi-level Enclosure?

LucyTurtle

Location (City and/or State)
St. Louis, MO
Hi there! First of all... I am totally new to the tort life. I don't have a tortise but they are my favorite animal so I would love to have one as a pal.

I live in the Midwest, so an outdoor enclosure isn't really an option (we get weater from -15°F all the way up to 115°F. So, I am going to have to find a smaller breed so that I can keep a tort happy indoors for most of the year.

I have a nice shelf that is 46" wide and 15" deep: not big enough even for a little guy. There is space for overhang in the back, so I could probably build and enclosure that is 46" x 24". I still don't think this provides enough space for a small guy just from what I've read.

I'm wondering if it's possible to make a multi-level enclosure for your tort. I could build an entire second level, almost doubling the enclosure size. But I don't know if this would be userful to a tort, if they would use it, and how I would build a ramp without worries that the tort could fall down the side or from the level above.

Any thoughts? If this can't be done I'll just have to find a new location for an enclosure, but if it is possible this would be the best place for one in my room :)

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
Several members have built 2 level enclosures. Most, if not all, put railing on the ramp and 2nd level. And the torts do use them.

In case you haven't seen this subforum, you'll enjoy seeing these enclosures. Someone recently posted pix of his 2 story enclosure, which was just gorgeous! Unfortunately, I can't remember who it was. :mad: