Mulder Did Something Smart

Bibbit

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Dallas, Texas
...I was a bit surprised. He's not the inquisitive one. But today, I went into the enclosure and Mulder had wrangled a large earthworm out of the ground. At first, he had about two inches out, but I could tell it was big. I watched him for a few minutes just tugging and tugging. He'd get a few inches out, snap off a bite, and then the worm would almost be in the ground before he got it again.

And then Mulder pulled it out a few inches, let go, and quickly went to the source and pulled from there. That was all she wrote for the poor worm. With all the time they sit around doing nothing and just looking at me from the edge of their shells, it's easy to forget they are amazing little creatures.

Attachments

• WP_20140602_09_33_23_Pro.jpg
    WP_20140602_09_33_23_Pro.jpg
    326.2 KB · Views: 41

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Yes, I agree that these guys are pretty amazing to watch devour their snacks. Here's a quick recap of our turtles smorgasbord this afternoon. After a really good thundershower, our female eastern box turtle (EBT) was out of her normal hiding spot and very active for 2pm. I picked her up and placed her in a nearby soaking tub that had accumulated 2-3 inches of fresh rain water. She just sat there stretching legs, throat pulsing and looked so relaxed in her afternoon bath. Nearby was a 3 inch long garden slug that I picked up and placed in the container. I then tossed 4-5 red wrigglers in as well. After enjoying the soak, turt walked right over and devoured both the slug and worms. Later, I placed her back in her normal enclosure where she enjoyed some fresh apple. Mind you, this was all within 30 mins or so. A warm summer bath followed up with a nice gut full of good for the later afternoon hours!

Bibbit

5 Year Member
Dallas, Texas
It is 16 feet by 16 feet. I've got four boxies in residence and four goldfish in the pond. I was just out there and everyone was extremely active. They're so much fun.