Ms. Bowser

vortexnebula

Location (City and/or State)
Normal IL
Hi! I'm new here and I'm just looking for some general information. I recently just got my russian tortoise Ms. Bowser from my brother. He did not really take care of her except feed her occasionally and change her bedding to weird stuff (like newspapers and rabbit bedding), and I was wondering as a beginner how should I take care of her? I bought her new food, vitamins, lights and a new enclosure. How do I bond with her?

(Don't worry about the bedding in the picture, I changed it out after with the appropriate bedding)

Attachments

• IMG_20230924_091206_01.jpg
    IMG_20230924_091206_01.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 3

Jennpaints

Pasadena, MD
She's sweet despite the weird bedding (thank you for changing it). Time, she'll acclimate when she gets used to her new proper surroundings.

vortexnebula

Normal IL
Thank you! Yeah, it makes me feel a little sad because he hadn't really socialized her except letting her roam around his apartment to do what ever. Occasionally he'd go and find her after a few days. Right now she hisses when I get close to her and doesn't really come out of her hide. Poor baby

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
She needs to be outside if possible and in a 4x8 foot enclosure. Any aquarium is too small for an adult Russian.

vortexnebula

Normal IL
Right now it's not possible as I live in a apartment. But I plan on taking her outside very often when she gets used to me and the environment she currently in. I also bought a tortoise enclosure thats going to be much bigger than the one shes currently in.Right now she's very introverted. And she's not fully grown yet.

ND135

Maryland
Hi! I'm new here and I'm just looking for some general information. I recently just got my russian tortoise Ms. Bowser from my brother. He did not really take care of her except feed her occasionally and change her bedding to weird stuff (like newspapers and rabbit bedding), and I was wondering as a beginner how should I take care of her? I bought her new food, vitamins, lights and a new enclosure. How do I bond with her?

(Don't worry about the bedding in the picture, I changed it out after with the appropriate bedding)
Good job on changing the substrate and for taking this little cutie into your family! They are absolutely fun and adorable little mysteries and often act like toddlers at every age LOL.

I really enjoy feeding my red foot by hand and I sit and talk/sing to her during daily soaks. Be careful when feeding by hand - they don't know where food ends and your hand begins, so hold items at a distance or use tweezers to hold food and let go for the last bites.

I let her out to roam and explore in a designated space in the house and I sit with her and guide her and just keep her company and chat with her often.

They are very independent souls that don't need pals, but do eventually come to learn the love of their keeper. It is very sweet.

Good luck!

Darkjade

5 Year Member
Ohio

After reading more of ur posts, please be aware of ur surroundings at the apartment and know if the yard keepers use poisons, fertilizers, and or weed killers before u allow ur tortoise to forage through the grounds as these could kill/ poison or make ur little guy very very ill! Good luck with ur new guy and know that they r lots and lots of fun! I too have a Russian!!!! H