Mozart and being outside

Zeus;s Mom

Location (City and/or State)
Lincoln, NE
Not sure what is up. Count Mozart has always loved going outside but the last few weeks he digs a hole in his substrate as if to hibernate. Count Ludwig continues to live the sun but any idea why Mozart hates it?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
If it's very hot there he's probably estivating. Another reason MIGHT be because Ludwig is telling him to get out of his territory. Tortoises don't do well in pairs.

Zeus;s Mom

Lincoln, NE
Not sure what is up. Count Mozart has always loved going outside but the last few weeks he digs a hole in his substrate as if to hibernate. Count Ludwig continues to live the sun but any idea why Mozart hates it?
Mozart and Ludwig have separate enclosures and do not know the other exist. I don't put them out if the temp is above 90 with the humidity Nebraska is known for. Appreciate the feedback. Both Russian Tortoises have been with me 12 plus years. Love them.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
My best guess would be the hot temps. They dig to get away from the heat.

How is the cover in the enclosure? Lots of shade and plants?

Zeus;s Mom

Lincoln, NE
humidity can run within the 60 to 70 range and temps anywhere from 90 to 100. Lots of shade and leaves in their enclosures. We are having a cool down this week with temps in the 80s with 90s next week.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Mozart and Ludwig have separate enclosures and do not know the other exist. I don't put them out if the temp is above 90 with the humidity Nebraska is known for. Appreciate the feedback. Both Russian Tortoises have been with me 12 plus years. Love them.
I have a little Russian too that I've had for 12 years. This year I've been hesitant to put him out during the high heat and humidity. I just put him out in the afternoon so he can catch some rays everyday anyway. The fact that you have 2 with 2 different reactions is really interesting to me. I'm really glad to somehow meet you. I love my little guy too.

Zeus;s Mom

Lincoln, NE
I have a little Russian too that I've had for 12 years. This year I've been hesitant to put him out during the high heat and humidity. I just put him out in the afternoon so he can catch some rays everyday anyway. The fact that you have 2 with 2 different reactions is really interesting to me. I'm really glad to somehow meet you. I love my little guy too.
Grey meeting you too!! Appreciate all the feedback. This group is wonderful. Think I will keep Mozart in until the heat breaks (maybe October?).

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
We opened up the burrow for our Russian a few weeks ago; now that it’s quite warm she’s spending much more time in it and much less time doing her perimeter walks. She’s eating less as well. Right on schedule for summer. :)