MOWED GRASS AND MANURE

Status
Not open for further replies.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
It's almost that time to get the lawn mower out. So, this question poped into my head. :D Can grass mowed with a gas mower be fed to our torts, or should it only be mowed with an electric mower? Also, can cow or horse manure be used as a fertilizer for the food we are trying to grow for our torts?
Thank you for all responses :)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
As long as the gas mower blows its exhaust out of the top side some where, then it's fine to feed the clippings. I have been doing that for years. What I worry about more is making sure that I don't mow any bad weeds or inappropriate leaves in the the mix.

I think horse and cow manure is fine for growing tortoise food in an area that tortoise do not have access too. I usually bury a bunch of tortoise poo under the root ball whenever I plant a plant too. Learned that trick from Maggie.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Never thought about using tort poo, great idea. I have no bad stuff, just all new grass that I got last year, of course before I decided to get a tort:p :D The old stuff was perfect for a tort:D lots of clover and dandelion. Luckily, I was able to save some old grass and also have seeded the new stuff with tort seed mix. It just needs some help, hence the manure:D Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.