Moving

Status
Not open for further replies.

MaggieofNarnia

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Kentucky
Hello,

So as you all may know I am a college student who's life is pretty much constantly a jumbled mess. Thus far, though, I have done a great job at caring for Darwin and while he has a little pyramiding showing through, must of his growth has been pretty smooth. He is very active and doing well. The one question I have though is about moving him from location to location. I am currently living in a dorm room, but this summer will be moving farther south into Kentucky for an internship. After that I'll be moving back to Indiana in August, and possible back to Kentucky at some point in time. I have no idea, honestly, what I will be doing at that point. When I came home for spring break in early March, I took Darwin with me and set up an enclosure at home for him that, while it was a bit smaller, was just the same as what he has at school. The poor guy was so stressed, though, and hid himself away all week until we came back here. I still maintained all of my care for him and there was no change in diet. He still continued to eat, but basically you could tell her wasn't a fan of being moved.
Is there any way you people make the stress of a move less on a tortoise? Also, how do you transport them in the winter so they stay warm? My big issue is that my car heater doesn't work, so Darwin probably got way to cold on the drive back here.

Thanks!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
I'm assuming the tortoise is small enough to live in an indoor habitat? If you just keep him inside his habitat for the move and keep him in the same habitat at the new place he shouldn't even know he's been moved.

Status
Not open for further replies.