Moving tomorrow! Any advice for keeping my two little boxies comfy?

redkat231

Location (City and/or State)
Irvine, California
I'm moving to a new house tomorrow, and my pair of box turtles (9 months old) are coming with me of course. I was wondering if anyone has had any experience moving with turtles and what I can do to keep their stress at a minimum. I don't want them food striking on me, haha. I was either going to move them in their home (a large Rubbermaid tub) or take them out and put them in a temporary box to ride up front with me. The drive is only 2 hours, but my babies tend to stress out easily. What do more experienced turtle caretakers think?

leigti

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
southeast Washington
I think I would try to keep them in their regular enclosure, maybe put it in the backseat of your car depending on the weather, temperature etc. as long as it doesn't move around too much I think they would be more secure there. If that doesn't work I would put them in a small container together with some of the substrate from their big enclosure. Maybe some of their favorite food for a distraction? Just some ideas.

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
Just don't let them overheat. I've moved mine halfway across the country and back again. They'll do fine. Remember that cars heat up fast, so check on them, have ventilation, and don't leave them- and whatever you do, don't let them escape in the car. A turtle under the brake or gas pedal would be a disaster. Don't ask me how I know.