Moving my tort outside permanently

Status
Not open for further replies.

Walkers

5 Year Member
Hey fellow tortoise enthusiast! Hope everyone is doing good! I am going to be moving my sulcata outside (most likely permanently) and was wondering if anyone can show me their designs and build of their outdoor enclosure for their tort?! And also the design of their hide and how it's heated! Any info and pics is greatly appreciated! Thanks

Ps. My tort is big enough 6" and weighs a little more than a brick

Sent from my iPhone using TortoiseForum mobile app

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Kent, South East England
Take a look through our enclosures forum. There are plenty. As your tort grows you will need some very strong boundaries... sulcatas are bulldozers with legs!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Also look through Toms threads. He has some pics of the hides he makes and there are also some of the enclosures.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California

Walkers

5 Year Member
@Tom thank you very much
Wow that first design was perfect! Very creative! The second design is very good as well, definitely a little more practical since its my parents house. I live in Southern California so it's perfect sulcata weather, humid and hot! I would have to build the enclosure out of a wood fence I think, any suggestions on a good solid wood that's not too pricey? And that would hold up with SoCal weather?! Thanks guys

Dizisdalife

10 Year Member!
California
When my tortoise was that size I built a day time enclosure with cinder block. At night I would bring him inside to a closed chamber enclosure where the heat and humidity were controlled. Bringing him in at night also protected him from predators (possum, skunk, and raccoon) that we have in the neighborhood. And I didn't have to build a night box for him right away. The next year he was 11 inches and needed the night box and a more permenant outdoor enclosure. I made that one from 2 x 12's that I had. I still use those today along with 16" plywood that I ripped from 4 x 8 sheets. Much cheaper than 2 x 12's.

Millerlite

10 Year Member!
Southern Calif.
SoCal has weather? I usually just use sheets of plywood and make boarders, I'm in SoCal and it handles the sun just fine

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Walkers said:
I live in Southern California so it's perfect sulcata weather, humid and hot!

What? Is there another Southern CA that I'm not familiar with. We live in a desert basin. I'm going to guess that you've never been to the South... :D

Seriously though, I use plywood and just prime and paint it. Lasts for at least several years that way. Insulation will make your enclosure way better for your tortoise and save a ton on electricity in winter too.

Walkers

5 Year Member
That what I had figured on using.. Tom, you said you keep your torts at 75 at night during the summer months? And 80 for winter months right?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
When its REALLY hot like right now, I just unplug all the heaters so the night boxes will cool a bit more over night. Then it takes longer for them to heat up the next day.

Generally, I do 70-75 in summer when they will have hot sunny days to warm up in, and 80-85 over winter when they won't be able to warm up as much.

Walkers

5 Year Member
Cool thanks again! Next question, he will be on grass/dirt and I was going to plant a tortoise seed mix and have heard of a lot of different kinds that work well.. Which do you guys prefer?

Walkers

5 Year Member
And another question about heating (particularly winter months). For his hide at night, I figured to use a CHE but I read somewhere its beneficial to use a CHE as well as a heat mat? What's your guys thoughts? Thanks again everybody

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Walkers said:
Cool thanks again! Next question, he will be on grass/dirt and I was going to plant a tortoise seed mix and have heard of a lot of different kinds that work well.. Which do you guys prefer?

The "Testudo Mix" form tortoisesupply.com is the best I've found. Also try planting some arugula and several different types of squash. The squash leaves and blooms are good food and the bush gives good cover and shade. Start some grape vines too.

Walkers said:
And another question about heating (particularly winter months). For his hide at night, I figured to use a CHE but I read somewhere its beneficial to use a CHE as well as a heat mat? What's your guys thoughts? Thanks again everybody

You can see what I prefer in the two links. CHEs are okay for some applications, but they can also burn the top of the carapace if you are not careful. I've seen this many times and its even more common on species with higher does like leopards. A radiant heat panel does the same thing, but with no risk of hurting the animals. Oil heaters are even better, since they heat all the air in the enclosure and also don't get hot enough to burn.

Walkers

5 Year Member
I had noticed you used an oil heater, that's a great idea. I considered the testudo mix as well as the sulcata mix they have. The enclosure has a huge hibiscus bush in it as well so there's always plenty that drops. Ill post pics of the area later for you guys to see

J REED

5 Year Member
Re: RE: Moving my tort outside permanently

Tom said:
Walkers said:

The "Testudo Mix" form tortoisesupply.com is the best I've found. Also try planting some arugula and several different types of squash. The squash leaves and blooms are good food and the bush gives good cover and shade. Start some grape vines too.

Walkers said:

You can see what I prefer in the two links. CHEs are okay for some applications, but they can also burn the top of the carapace if you are not careful. I've seen this many times and its even more common on species with higher does like leopards. A radiant heat panel does the same thing, but with no risk of hurting the animals. Oil heaters are even better, since they heat all the air in the enclosure and also don't get hot enough to burn.

Can I get inf on your heater. ..type, brand, etc etc...looking forward.it gets down to about 40 every once in a while 35, I will be building the house like yours as well qith the insulation and heater in it.I plan on having 2' walls and the insulated house and just wondrring what else I could do qithin a normal budget...

Jeremy

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I don't remember anymore. I found them at Walmart after doing an Internet search for "mini oil filled heater". They were only about $25. I run them on a reptile thermostat.

My first big insulated box was 4x8 x4' feet tall. These new ones are better built, better sealed, and better insulated. The old box used about a dollar a day worth of electricity over the cold winter nights with temps in the 30s most nights. These new boxes use only .18 cents a day in comparison.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon

Millerlite said:
SoCal has weather? I usually just use sheets of plywood and make boarders, I'm in SoCal and it handles the sun just fine

Exactly what I do in so Cal.

Heather
Sent from my Android TFO app

J REED

5 Year Member

Tom said:
I don't remember anymore. I found them at Walmart after doing an Internet search for "mini oil filled heater". They were only about $25. I run them on a reptile thermostat.

My first big insulated box was 4x8 x4' feet tall. These new ones are better built, better sealed, and better insulated. The old box used about a dollar a day worth of electricity over the cold winter nights with temps in the 30s most nights. These new boxes use only .18 cents a day in comparison.

You hook a thermostat up to it? Most have built in thermostats.Is yours a precautionary measure?

Jeremy

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
J REED said:
Tom said:

You hook a thermostat up to it? Most have built in thermostats.Is yours a precautionary measure?

Jeremy

The built in thermos are not accurate enough and have a very wide range. A 15-20 degree swing is not uncommon. I use these heaters, on the low setting, but turn the thermostat all the way up, then use MY thermostat to turn it off and on. Been doing it for years now and it works like a charm.

J REED

5 Year Member

Tom said:
J REED said:
Tom said:

Jeremy

The built in thermos are not accurate enough and have a very wide range. A 15-20 degree swing is not uncommon. I use these heaters, on the low setting, but turn the thermostat all the way up, then use MY thermostat to turn it off and on. Been doing it for years now and it works like a charm.

What thermos do u use for outdoors?

Jeremy

Status
Not open for further replies.