Moving my 3 toed box outdoors

EricL

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Maryland
I have a female 3-toed which is about 4 inches in length and weighs about 165 grams. I have a 5x5 enclosure setup outside, but with the weather getting cooler, I do not know if this would be the right time to move her outside. I have only had her for a couple months and she has lived indoors, so I do not know if previous owners had her outdoors. At the moment in MD, its about 75 during the day and gets down to 50s at night. Should I wait until next spring to introduce her to outside or is this an okay time?.

jakskillz

Georgia
It really depends on the indoor conditions. A box turtle needs to slowly ease into the transition so it can prepare for the winter months. If it’s been in a constant temp inside, the outdoor nighttime temp may shock it and cause it to get sick which can be a death sentence during hibernation. I’d say try again next year and move it outside earlier on.

EricL

5 Year Member
Maryland
It really depends on the indoor conditions. A box turtle needs to slowly ease into the transition so it can prepare for the winter months. If it’s been in a constant temp inside, the outdoor nighttime temp may shock it and cause it to get sick which can be a death sentence during hibernation. I’d say try again next year and move it outside earlier on.
That's what I originally planned on but seeing how active she was outside made me reconsider.