Moving Across country with my russian tortoise

Status
Not open for further replies.

thefrostygirl

5 Year Member
This August I'm going to be moving from North Carolina to California. What's the best thing to do with my tortoise? I was planning on taking him in the car. We'll probably take about 12 days since we're going to be camping along the way. Any suggestions would be great.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi thefrostygirl:

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!!

As long as he's carried in whatever he's used to living in, it shouldn't be a problem. Just make sure you have a way to keep him warm along the way.

What would you like us to call you?

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
A Land Far Away...
I always like to keep them on the water supply they are use to, rather then keep using water from every source along the way. This was a carry over from dog show days, I guess. Make sure you have him in a safe place in the car. Think of things like if you were in an accident or hard to slam the breaks on, is his enclosure sitting where it won't go flying or have something fall onto it? I like to just use newspaper or paper towels while traveling. Nothing really to get into the tortoises eyes, nothing to slam into him if in a quick stopping situation, it still will soak up the urine, easy to change out, and they can even hide under it. Will his enclosure be sitting where it won't get drafts, especially from the car's AC or heat? How about will the sun be shining down onto it?

Make sure you do carry along some smaller container you can slip him into and take him hidden into a business incase your car might breakdown and need repairs or you stop on a hot/cold day to eat a nice meal along the way. Reminder, a vehicle when stopped can very quickly turn into an oven.

Be sure to keep a small trash bag, paper towels, and hand sanitizer around for quick cleanups along the way.

Status
Not open for further replies.