Moving abroad with a tortoise

Status
Not open for further replies.

Becca

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Wales
Does anyone have any experience of taking a tortoise abroad?? I have acquired a lovely Russian tort as he urgently needed a home. It's great having a tortoise but he may be going back to original owners soon. If he does go back I would love to have my own but I am moving to Uganda next September. I will be there for 1 year then return to the UK for a couple of years before probably going back to Uganda for good. I've tried to find info on-line but there's not much around. I've had 1 quote for $5000 dollars (which I basically laughed at) and anther for £900 for him to fly to Uganda. It only costs £600 for me to fly there!! Are these the sorts of prices expected?
Apparently it's easy enough to buy a tortoise in Uganda but am guessing they would be captured wild ones and I'd not be able to bring it back to the UK.
Does anyone have any useful information they could share with me?

Thank you
Becca

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
its hard to do... we had a member who lived in Dubai, and got a greek there.. she tried and tried and tried to get prper paperwork to take he beloved tort to the UK... it never happened.. Its still in Dubai...
probably best to wait and settle somewhere before getting a tort...

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I think the importation rules are pretty strict, and even if it were allowed, he would be in quarantine for such a long time I'd worry about his care there.

Status
Not open for further replies.