Mouth Just Not Able to close in once

Status
Not open for further replies.

naresh197.n

5 Year Member
My Baby star tortoise was not able to eat properly... She is having some mouth or other problem...When she try's to eat something den she was not able to close it in once and after sometimes he stops trying and run away.. We fed her some tortoise food package but now do not understand that how it will be cured if her mouth jaws have some problem...
Do anyone have similar problem...

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi naresh197.n:

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!!

What would you like us to call you?

...and may we know appx. where in the world you are?

My best GUESS is that the tortoise has suffered from a calcium deficiency and the beak hasn't grown properly. Your best bet is to find a veterinarian who is familiar with tortoise problems and have them take a look at it.

In the meantime, you can cut the food up in very small pieces. Buy some dark, leafy greens and maybe some yellow squash. Chop it up real, real small and pile it up on a feeding tile or small plastic plate. Place the tortoise in front of the pile and see if its able to eat that way. I'm not a big fan of the packaged tortoise food. They don't get that type of food in the wild. Find some weeds, grasses and greens to feed the tortoise.

naresh197.n

5 Year Member
Health Question

My Baby Star tortoise have cold like and also her jaws are not closing properly sometimes..What problem it may be..Anyone to solve as no VET is available near by...plzz.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
If you think your tortoise has a respiratory infection, you'll need to get some antibiotics for it. Only a vet can help you with that.

In the mean time, place the tortoise into a smaller, hospital container and make it warmer than normal. 80F degrees is good for a sick tortoise.

Jacob

5 Year Member
California
What are your temps?
do you have a heat and uv light?
it could be a beak problem, do you have pictures so you can show us?
try giving her a warm little soak :)

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
If the tortoise is not able to eat, I would recommend a vet visit. Until then, baby food soaks are a good idea I think.

Status
Not open for further replies.