Mosquito Yard Spray?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tortoisestew

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
South East Texas
Is there a mosquito yard spray or something that is safe to use around tortoises. The mosquito's are horrible right now.

tortoisestew

5 Year Member
South East Texas
Thanks. Guess I'll go get a bunch of marigolds and citronella plants tomorrow. Was also thinking of bringing him indoors for a couple days so I could spray.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
"They've" run out of money for it now, but a few years ago the county or whoever, used to fly over the town in airplanes and spray mosquito killer on all the properties. When I called the County Ag Extension and told them my concern about my tortoises grazing the grasses with this spray on it, they said it would not harm the tortoises. I don't know what they used.

Just be sure you tip over any vessel holding standing water and spray yourself, and your tortoises will be safe.

I change my tortoises water every morning, and every morning I see little wiggle mosquito larvae in there.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
I am going to say, every year I have a ton of marigolds and they do not keep the 'skeeters away (I have them 'cuause I like the stinky little happy looking plants :D ). I tried the citranella plants too and I could be right next to the plant and the 'sketters would happily munch away on me. The same goes for catnip and Ageratum.

jason g.

5 Year Member
tortoisestew said:
Thanks. Guess I'll go get a bunch of marigolds and citronella plants tomorrow. Was also thinking of bringing him indoors for a couple days so I could spray.

Be careful they aren't African or French marigold. They are supposed to be poison. Wild marigold or potted marigold are supposed to be OK.

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
I use cold pressed neem seed oil (works on my rose bushes, too!) I just take a dropperful and place it in a spray bottle, top it off with hot water and then shake well to emulsify it, and spray as needed. I have also used it to cure mange and treat fleas and ticks. It is completely edible and non toxic.

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
In our area they still spray/fog residential areas with both the fogging trucks and the "crop duster" type airplanes. I phoned the county agency responsible and got the names of what was used, then looked them up on the Internet. What I found was there are safer chemicals available but these were cheaper. Both these chemicals breakdown rapidly when exposed to sunlight, which is a good thing, I suppose. I don't know what chemicals your county was using. I NEVER accept governmental assurance that something is "safe." There's always varying degrees of "safe."

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
Moozilion said:
In our area they still spray/fog residential areas with both the fogging trucks and the "crop duster" type airplanes. I phoned the county agency responsible and got the names of what was used, then looked them up on the Internet. What I found was there are safer chemicals available but these were cheaper. Both these chemicals breakdown rapidly when exposed to sunlight, which is a good thing, I suppose. I don't know what chemicals your county was using. I NEVER accept governmental assurance that something is "safe." There's always varying degrees of "safe."

On "fogger days", when I lived in Ft. Worth, my torts came inside and stayed inside for the week after...fortunately, out in Da Boonies (9 miles from the nearest town) it's no longer a problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.