Morla the Leopard Tortoise

Status
Not open for further replies.

ToddW

5 Year Member
Hello! I just posted in the introduction thread as well. I'm the new guy. I thought I would also post here as I own a Leopard Tortoise, Morla.

Here is Morla in November, the guy in the store said she was about 3 years old at that time.

morla1.JPG

Here is Morla today, she hasn't stopped growing since I've had her.

morla2.JPG

Here is Morla's home. I know that aquariums aren't ideal but I didn't know that when I bought it. I added a border around the bottom so hopefully that does the trick. It's a work in progress, it never seems like I am done improving and tweaking it for her.

morla3.JPG

Nice to meet you!

Last edited by a moderator:

Tortus

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Maryland
Welcome! Nice looking tortoise.

I have a hard time believing she was 3 years in the 1st pic though. Mine appears bigger than that at 7 months. But again they all grow at different rates. Do you ever measure and weigh her?

Yashil Ghazi

5 Year Member
Welcome

WOW. Thats one smooth Leopard.Ive noticed that youre substrate is dry ,yet there is no pyramiding ,whats your Humidity like?

ToddW

5 Year Member
Tortus said:
I have a hard time believing she was 3 years in the 1st pic though. Mine appears bigger than that at 7 months. But again they all grow at different rates. Do you ever measure and weigh her?

She might not have been. The more I learn, the more I learn how little the store knew that sold her to me. The store clerk wasn't sure and estimated 2 or 3 years, he may have been full of it. She was kept in pretty poor conditions so maybe that inhibited growth. She's sure making up for lost time now.

I haven't measured and weighed her yet, but I certainly could.

Yashil Ghazi said:
WOW. Thats one smooth Leopard.Ive noticed that youre substrate is dry ,yet there is no pyramiding ,whats your Humidity like?

The short answer is that I live in South Florida :)

However, she was smooth when I purchased her, so I'm really just trying not to mess her up! She has some very slight elevation/pyramiding in her scutes but I think there is always going to be some due to normal growth. I'm not certain, my knowledge of it extends to reading Tom's threads on this forum.

example:morla-side.JPG

As far as what I am doing for humidity besides living in paradise, I have a Reptifogger hooked up and it churns on and off all day. Every time it does, she scurries over to take a fog bath. She stretches her neck out and closes her eyes and you can tell she really digs it. It does keep the CocoSoft around the exhaust damp, but the heat lamp makes quick work of the fog. I also soak her several times a week and she also takes baths in the terracotta dish in her tank so she is plenty hydrated all the time.

Front view: morla-front.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.