More Moe...

Status
Not open for further replies.

cdmay

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Somewhere in Florida
A while back I had posted some photos (see 'Ten Years With Moe') of my #1 male cherry head red-foot named Moe.
In that post I wanted to include some photos of him engaging in what I consider to be threatening behavior where he does his best to imitate a male saddle-back Galapagos tortoise.
When males of this type of Galapagos tortoise wants to challenge another male, they stand up as tall as they can on their legs while extending their head as high as possible. Some male cherry heads do the very same thing during the breeding season.
Yesterday Moe was courting one of the females when he spotted me entering his domain, at which point he broke off from her and began his intimidation of me. So I went back into the house and grabbed my camera...

MoeasGalapagos.jpg

Was kind of hard to hold his attention with my hand while shooting a photo with the other. But you can see that he is pretty fearless...

FearlessMoe.jpg

While he may not be that much of a looker, he can sure produce some nice hatchlings...

12-164b.jpg

DSC05538.jpg

Depending on the female, Moe's hatchlings can range in color from clean orange to deep red...

DSC04308-1.jpg

DSC03944.jpg

Flamehead.jpg

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
O.K. Carl I said I was done buying Cherryheads, but I'll take the two in the last picture. :p Are you just trying to tease us or what? :D Moe is very intimidating does he do that if your wife comes out without you or does he already know that you're the male of the group? I think they know a lot more then what we give them credit for. I guess they're just like dogs when it comes to battle. Dogs raise their fur to make themselves look bigger then what they really are when there's another dog around. Moe sure has beautiful offspring.

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
I guess what he doesn't have in looks, he makes up in personality. But, to me he looks great!

Bryan

10 Year Member!
Am I mistaken in thinking that I read on TF that a poster on the forum doesn't think that tortoises have unique personalities or something along those lines? Moe clearly demonstrates otherwise!

Stephanie Logan

10 Year Member!
Colorado
That is just a Laugh Out Loud pose, pure and simple.

Moe looks like a menacing cobra priming for a deadly strike...prepare to die, interloping fist! :p

How much do babies with that gorgeous Cherryhead coloring cost? ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.