More like monkeys sometimes.

slowtone

Location (City and/or State)
kent, uk
Needless to say Torts need to be watched more than the non owner may think,
Generally non owners think they are slow but I look at them as being solar powered. the warmer it is the faster they go and want to do more things like climbing and things their not designed to do, so when visitors witness these antics they are amazed and cant believe Torts do these things.
Just one problem I find is that sometimes they flip themselves over, the larger one can turn himself back but the smaller one has problems so I make sure someone is always around in case acrobats go wrong,
Any one else find play time can get hectic.

SunnySideUp

5 Year Member
Michigan
When I first got my juvenile tortoise Pumpkin, I was so surprised when I saw how much trouble these little guys can get into. Pumpkin loves to pull all sorts of dare-devil stunts. He leaps off of his tuberware humid hide, slides down the sides of his half log, and does unnecessary parkour over rocks. I've heard before that young tortoises enjoy sliding and doing all other sorts of thrills-and-spills activities. It's as if they have no fear of getting overturned, much to my worry.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
My baby RF escaped several times before I was able to escape proof his pen. I imagine it's only a matter of time until he outsmarts me again. Frankly, I am very surprised at how high they can climb a straight up wall!

the_newzie

5 Year Member
las vegas
Steve (desert tortoise) is convinced he is a lizard. He sees the lizards running up the walls and then tries to run up the wall himself (usually flipping himself over :(). It's hilarious to watch the recognition in his eyes when he first notices the lizard, then the visible determination that comes over him to catch the lizard by any means necessary. I was one of the "non-owners" who initially thought tortoises were low maintenance. Now I know better because I find myself thinking/worrying/fretting/planning more about Steve than any of my other animals (2 cats, 2 dogs), which is saying a lot because my wife and I are pretty attentive to all of them.

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
Steve (desert tortoise) is convinced he is a lizard. He sees the lizards running up the walls and then tries to run up the wall himself (usually flipping himself over :(). It's hilarious to watch the recognition in his eyes when he first notices the lizard, then the visible determination that comes over him to catch the lizard by any means necessary. I was one of the "non-owners" who initially thought tortoises were low maintenance. Now I know better because I find myself thinking/worrying/fretting/planning more about Steve than any of my other animals (2 cats, 2 dogs), which is saying a lot because my wife and I are pretty attentive to all of them.
WELCOME to the wacky world of tortoises!!!!! (and WELCOME to the forum!) :p

peasinapod

5 Year Member
Switzerland
Peter doesn't walk around things, he walks through them. He once got stuck in the hibiscus because he was trying to chase me out of his territory. :D

Tort-Rex

One day, I had my RT, Rex, outside. As I was bringing him in, I put him down and looked away for some reason. When I looked back, I couldn't see home anywhere! I start panicking when I hear this very faint scratching sound. I was looking around to find out where it was coming from until I looked at this pipe, which is about 5 inches in diameter, that we have in our yard. All I see is the back of his shell going right into the pipe! When I get over there, I, without hesitation, reach my hand into the the big, black pipe until I feel the back of his shell, and at this time, I'm stretching my arm as far as I can. I gripped his shell as tight as I could and tugged him out of there. After resisting for a couple of minutes, Rex finally gives up. I then pull out my soot-covered arm and a soot-covered Rex. When I bring him inside, I give him (and my arm) a nice long soak. Needless to say, I had scrapes all over my hand and arm, but I never let him out of my sight again.

ChloeCrull

Fresno, California
One day, I had my RT, Rex, outside. As I was bringing him in, I put him down and looked away for some reason. When I looked back, I couldn't see home anywhere! I start panicking when I hear this very faint scratching sound. I was looking around to find out where it was coming from until I looked at this pipe, which is about 5 inches in diameter, that we have in our yard. All I see is the back of his shell going right into the pipe! When I get over there, I, without hesitation, reach my hand into the the big, black pipe until I feel the back of his shell, and at this time, I'm stretching my arm as far as I can. I gripped his shell as tight as I could and tugged him out of there. After resisting for a couple of minutes, Rex finally gives up. I then pull out my soot-covered arm and a soot-covered Rex. When I bring him inside, I give him (and my arm) a nice long soak. Needless to say, I had scrapes all over my hand and arm, but I never let him out of my sight again.

This story made me smile; it sounds like you experienced quite the heroic rescue! I'm sorry that you received scrapes and were covered in soot, but thank you for saving the little guy! My Russian torts are the same; they're little adventurers!

Tort-Rex

This story made me smile; it sounds like you experienced quite the heroic rescue! I'm sorry that you received scrapes and were covered in soot, but thank you for saving the little guy! My Russian torts are the same; they're little adventurers!
While I had my arm in the pipe, someone walked by and they had a look on their face like, "Why does this crazy person have their arm in a pipe?!?" Lol, I must have looked insane, but I'm glad I got Rex out, even though Rex looked like he had a great time. :D

ChloeCrull

Fresno, California
While I had my arm in the pipe, someone walked by and they had a look on their face like, "Why does this crazy person have their arm in a pipe?!?" Lol, I must have looked insane, but I'm glad I got Rex out, even though Rex looked like he had a great time. :D

Haha! I know how you feel; I occasionally sit outside with my two Russian tortoises. I often get a lawn chair and monitor them as they stampede through the foliage and eat their veggies. I always say "Hello!" to the people that pass me. Most of them smile, but you can just sense the judgement and confusion!

Tort-Rex

Haha! I know how you feel; I occasionally sit outside with my two Russian tortoises. I often get a lawn chair and monitor them as they stampede through the foliage and eat their veggies. I always say "Hello!" to the people that pass me. Most of them smile, but you can just sense the judgement and confusion!
Haha! Once, when my brother and I were watching Rex, our neighbor walked by and thought we were looking at this little tree that we have in our yard and said, "Did you just plant that?" We went along with it and said no, in which she replied, "Hmm, that must have been pretty strong to survive through the winter that we had!" And then she walked away. My brother and I were cracking up for at least five minutes afterwards. She probably just saw both of us huddled over a tree and didn't see Rex, but it was hilarious!

ChloeCrull

Fresno, California
Haha! Once, when my brother and I were watching Rex, our neighbor walked by and thought we were looking at this little tree that we have in our yard and said, "Did you just plant that?" We went along with it and said no, in which she replied, "Hmm, that must have been pretty strong to survive through the winter that we had!" And then she walked away. My brother and I were cracking up for at least five minutes afterwards. She probably just saw both of us huddled over a tree and didn't see Rex, but it was hilarious!

This has happened to me too! Sometimes my tortoises will stray too deep in the bushes and I have to grab them. A lot of people manage to walk by at the EXACT moment that I'm bending over a bush saying, "Come here, little man!" and "Come here, baby!" They're very confused, lol!