Mordy isnt doing well

Status
Not open for further replies.

RV's mom

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Phoenix, arizona
I'm sending meditations and prayers your way .. wishing for all the best and a good outcome

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Lisa127, yes it is true. Once a tort has a Uri they are always prone to it flaring up again. Stress is key..

I would give the tort here awhile to relax and settle in....and remember tortoise don't do things like recover and de stress on our time table and a day or two or three is too soon to expect a tort to return to their normal.

If your tort has not eaten for a week that is not a point to start force feeding as that is so invasive and you will have to handle and force submission of an already stressed tort.....I would make an effort to calm yourself a little and take a breath....place a variety of food in front of your tort after a warm soak and go away :D give him the opportunity to be sneaky and allow him to settle....now, this is simply what I would do...also, be very confident in your force feeding skills before using this method, you can kill your tort if it is done wrong....

I wish your little one a quick recovery.....also, clicking alone does not equal an ailing tortoise....I want to make sure that is revisited so people are not falsely concerned....species and individual conditioned warrant clicking sound worry or not...

Mordy

5 Year Member
Miami, Fl
good news, mordy ate yesterday! ive been soaking him for 30 minutes everyday with babyfood soaks as well but mostly letting him be. yesterday he was taking a sip out of the baby food soak so when i put him back in the enclosure i added a dallop of carrot purree and he ate some bitefuls, then went on to eat some bok choy, and then went on to eat a biteful of zoomed food :) hes got a strong spirit. thanks everyone!

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
That's excellent news :) keep up with the soaks for the time being... you should be able to switch back to plain water soon if he keeps eating :)

Urtle

5 Year Member
Glad to hear mordy is doing well. Such a nice tort. IMO I would stop taking him to any more vets. Shell be fine just without one as long as you keep her warm, hydrated, with an appropriate amount of sunlight and nutrition.

Take some pics when shes feeling better.

CLMoss

5 Year Member
Brooklyn, New York
I hope Mordy is feeling well today. I know how hard it can be dealing with some Vets...

Mordy

5 Year Member
Miami, Fl
CLMoss said:
I hope Mordy is feeling well today. I know how hard it can be dealing with some Vets...

yes, he is doing much better thank God. he wakes up around 7 and wont stop walking in his enclosure, and his eye is almost fully open now after giving him eye drops twice a day. he is showing more interest in eating, though sometimes he takes a bite but misses and gives up. if i have him in my hand with food he eats more. he really likes his baby food soaks, he drinks a lot of it and likes eating the dallop i put in his tray. slow but steady recovery :) and no more vet for me unless its urgent.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Some tortoises have trouble adapting to monocular vision. Its hard on their depth perception. It may help him if you chop his food up and put a pile right up next to the wall so it doesn't move away from him as he bites at it.

Biff Malibu

5 Year Member
Los Angeles
Sorry to hear this, hopefully he feels better soon. I'd be very upset about the vet myself.

I can completely relate. I took my dog (a black lab) into a vet one time as a young puppy, maybe about a year. He was just sitting there with my mom and I, and the vet decided that he need to "submit" because he was squirming a little bit during the check-up. He mounted him and held his mouth shut while saying very loudly "SUBMIT! SUBMIT!". My mom and I were shocked that this was happened and too much "WTF?" going on in our heads to react immediately. He couldn't have asked me to hold him? Never went back to him again. It's amazing that people who are vets don't know how to treat animals.

Joiner

5 Year Member
We had a similar issue with our sulcata Farlan. However we had a great vet, who loves the little guy. He ended up giving us a very fragrant powder ( smelled like apples). Between giving him that and getting him outside as the weather warmed up, his appetite boosted tremendously. The baby food soaking helped, but that natural sunlight and grass really did the trick. Our vet now calls once a week to see how he is.

Status
Not open for further replies.