Modular Tortoise Corral - Take One

Status
Not open for further replies.

travisgn

5 Year Member
Living in an apartment I have limited space, of course. My tortoises each have enclosures that are about 8 sq. ft. Not too bad, but it could be better. A couple weeks ago I thought, hey, I might not be able to get them bigger permanent enclosures right now, but what if I could build them something big that could be set up and taken down easily? Originally I called it a Playpen, but I liked the word Corral better.

This is what I came up with so far. I have since added cardboard walls that keep them from seeing out and from putting holes in the plastic sheeting. I used cardboard because it can be folded up and stored away easily. The whole thing isn't very pretty, but so far it is working pretty well.

As you can see the corners are 4"x"x16". I bought one 8' section and cut it into 6 pieces ($5). The dowels are 1/2" and cost me $1 a piece - I used 13 total. The plastic sheeting was $8 and is the kind used for covering windows in the winter (here in the cold climate zones) and whatnot.

The 6 posts and the plastic are permanently together and fold up into a fairly neat package. The dowels slide in and out. With the dowels on the inside and the plastic on the outside, it is actually pretty sturdy.

The lamp in the pic was used temporarily the first day - last weekend. I set it up again this weekend but brought out one of their MVBs on a stand.

I am very open to suggestions for improvement. Or maybe someone has done the exact same thing, only with a superior design? My main concern at this point is that the plastic is a bit slippery, though they do pretty well. The plastic is easy to clean, which was part of the plan, and obviously with it being temporary I can't put down real substrate, but I was thinking about some outdoor carpeting or something to roll out each time.

IMG_0461.jpg

IMG_0462.jpg

IMG_0463.jpg

IMG_0464.jpg

IMG_0465.jpg

IMG_0466.jpg

Calypso tried to go under Archimedes' log hide...
IMG_0467.jpg

IMG_0468.jpg

IMG_0470.jpg

IMG_0471.jpg

IMG_0472.jpg

The "furniture" was basically just stuff I had lying around. Extra fake plants, a shoebox, etc. :)

yagyujubei

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Amish Country
What about a layer of newspaper over the plastic. Easy to discard, and better footing, especially if it's damp.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
The inventiveness of our forum members just never ceases to amaze me!

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
Very nice! I might use cheapo towels instead of sheet plastic, carpet, or newspaper for a substrate- more absorbent and better traction.

For Version 2.0, I would use blue plastic tarp material, fold and secure the corners to make the 'bathtub', then maybe make a framework out of PVC (there is a series of furniture PVC that would work for the corners nicely.) This would be tough enough that it could serve as the MAIN habitat until you are ready to build something better. Then you could use a real substrate!

travisgn

5 Year Member
I like the PVC idea. And I like the idea of actually making one strong enough that it could serve as a permanent habitat, but still be able to be disassembled in a pinch. Thanks for the ideas.

I'll try both newspaper and towels. Now that I think about it, once they get used to this, they might not just do their business anywhere they want. In their permanent enclosures they almost always go to the bathroom in their food or water dishes, or when I soak them. Once they see this as "home" too, they probably won't be so messy and towels would work fine, without the need to scrub them every day.

The ideas are great, and I hope that other apartment dwellers will see this and be able to adopt the concept.

Travis

Status
Not open for further replies.